Under general direction, provide a thorough analysis of business problems and customer needs to define functional and non-functional requirements for technology solutions; manage requirements, translate them into solution specification and verify the fulfillment of all requirements. Strong partnership with business and technical teams to deliver application solutions with respect to value, quality, and end-user experience. Conduit between IT systems and customers.
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Work directly with appropriate staff in IT and business areas to clarify and document the business case, problem and scope.
• Compare the present state of the business with a conceptual and desired future state and provide gap analysis; recommend process improvements.
• Elicit and manage business and technical requirements, interview stakeholders, and conduct effective facilitation sessions with multiple stakeholders.
• Reconcile information received from multiple sources, articulate and isolate in-scope and out of scope elements.
• Conduct market research and create independent cost estimates.
• Assess technological and financial feasibility and business readiness.
• Work with the Enterprise Architects and other IT teams to identify possible solution(s) and all downstream impacts, both system and non-system.
• Work with the technical teams to create functional design documents, where applicable.
• Work with project managers and participate in all procurement steps; from creating SOW (Statement of Work), to assessment of submitted proposals and selection of the product.
• Work with customer and Quality Assurance team, create testing plans based on the use-cases, functional and non-functional requirements.
• Conduct end-to-end testing on applications and technology, to ensure that business, technical, and functional requirements are being met, including the development of test cases, test scripts, and UAT protocols for use by non-IT supplemental subject matter experts.
• Develop training materials and train employees; proactively assists with the identification of training and development requirements; presents findings and works with IT, HR, and business personnel to design and implement sustainable training and development initiatives that will continuously upgrade the skills and capabilities of staff.
• Develop data definitions from a business and technical perspective; maintains data definitions and standards and enforces agency compliance with internal standards.
• Participate in continuous process improvement projects to develop efficient business processes and workflows; ensures proper implementation of improved processes within and outside of software systems.
• Provide support to the department on matters as directed; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies, and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
• Champions and models Sound Transit's core values and demonstrates values-based behaviors in everyday interactions across the agency.
• Contributes to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion in alignment with Sound Transit’s Equity & Inclusion Policy.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in information technology, computer science, finance, business administration, or closely related field and four years of experience in IT business analysis which includes designing and documenting requirements, detailed process flows and performing quality assessment and assurance functions; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• JAMA experience is preferred, but not required.
• BABOK knowledge is preferred, but not required.
• Industry principles and best practices of IT Business Analysis.
• Requirements elicitation and communication techniques.
• Process definition and improvement methods and techniques.
• Business process modeling and workflows.
• Functional understanding of databases and how to utilize them for reporting.
• Principles of data management and Business Intelligence practices.
• Principles and practices for creating positive user interfaces and experiences.
• Data mapping and system integration practices.
• Project management techniques and principles, including quality assessment and assurance.
• Operational characteristics of a variety of complex computer and network systems, applications, hardware, software, and peripheral equipment, including enterprise-wide system applications.
• Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers.
• Computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups, and the general public.
• Interpreting and administering policies and procedures sufficient to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
• Understanding, interpreting, and communicating end user requirements.
• Performing business process analysis.
• Developing quality control techniques related to final product completion.
• Planning, implementing, completing, and reporting on progress, reviews, and end results.
• Using professional and/or technical concepts to perform assigned duties and solve problems.
• Managing multiple tasks, setting objectives/goals, and re-prioritize work to meet changing deadlines and priorities.
• Responding to inquiries and in effective oral and written communication.
• Applying advanced project management techniques and principles.
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)