Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Senior C/C++ Software Developer to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
The Senior C/C++ Software Developer will work on solutions to support continued development of NCBI's SeqDB sequence databases - the world premier archive of assembled and annotated sequence data and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. SeqDB makes biological sequence data submitted by the scientific community available to researchers worldwide, enhancing reproducibility and allowing for new discoveries. SeqDB is a large resource, comprised of over 1.6 billion records and 6 trillion DNA basepairs, and handles requests at rates of up to 50,000/second. The future development of SeqDB will involve re-architecting of the backend sequence databases, including exploration of Cloud-based strategies for sequence access. NCBI - National Center for Biotechnology Information is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI serves over 4 million daily users in search of clinical, genetic and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health, and is the world's top 3 most-visited site in the science category according to Alexa.com.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI's SeqDB sequence databases.
• Work with a diverse group of developers across the center to implement efficient solutions for sequence data storage and delivery.
• Facilitate development of "cloud ready" tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field.
• Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
• Provide expertise to assist other developers in design and development of new solutions.
• 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data
• Programming experience in a Linux environment
• Proficiency in C/C++
• Fluency in some scripting languages such as bash, csh, perl, or python
• Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
• Experience with working with genetic and biological data
• Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
• Experience with open source projects and involvement in open source communities such as github, etc.
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
• Experience managing production workflow of an online public databases
• Experience with Cloud technologies:
• AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
• GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.