In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Communications Payload, Command and Telemetry Dept (CPCTD) within the Communication Technology and Engineering Division provides communication hardware and systems engineering expertise to a wide range of space communication payload programs for military, national, civil and commercial customers. The department supports pre-RFP activities to system level testing. Specific areas of responsibility for the successful candidate include concept development and payload sizing, architecture trades, prototype design and modeling, link budget analysis construction and analysis, radio frequency interference studies, flight system test, hardware anomaly resolution, optical communication, and encryption hardware and system integration. We have extensive and well-established relationships with customer programs and is currently growing our department to meet customer demands. Key Functions
- Assemble and lead multi-disciplined teams across the Division or the Engineering and Technology Group to provide timely response in areas of communication/navigation systems.
- Independently participate in quick-turnaround conceptual design and advanced architecture studies for communication/navigation systems, creating analytical tools as necessary.
- Conduct independent assessment, evaluation and verification during trade study evaluations.
- Perform independent communication system and subsystem analyses to support requirement development, RFP, RFI and source selection activities.
- Predict and evaluate hardware performance and degradation using analytical or simulation tools.
- Perform system and link analyses, detailed system architecture trade studies and technology evaluations.
- Support program design reviews, integration & test phases, spacecraft launch, and in-orbit check-out.
- Provide timely written and verbal technical assessment reports to program office, line management, and technical conferences.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities with new and existing customers
Required for consideration as a Senior Engineering Specialist (In addition)
- Degree from an accredited university in electrical engineering, physics or another related field
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience in communication/navigation systems
- Technical experience in the following space communication/navigation system areas:
- System architecture, concept design and requirement definition
- Communication system simulation and link analyses
- Assembly, integration and test (AI&T), especially system level
- Anomaly and failure analysis management and resolution
- Design and test of analog and digital communication hardware
- The successful candidate should be comfortable in both fast-paced teaming environment as well as independent analytical work
- Broad experience in multiple DoD and NRO comm systems
- Have demonstrated creativity in problem solving, conflict resolution, and teaming challenges
- Possess high learning capacity with ability to rapidly grasp new concepts and adapt quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- 10 - 15% domestic travel to AGO and other locations, as needed
- Currently possess or the ability to obtain TS clearance
- Mentor junior engineers in their technical development and understanding of customer needs
- Demonstrated successful team building and leadership across multiple disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in the role of senior advisor/reviewer
- A minimum of 12 years of related experience in communication/navigation systems
Equal Opportunity Commitment
- Current TS clearance with SCI access
- Advanced degree in engineering, physics or related field
- Experience in the following:
- Support to SMC and NRO space programs as a communications engineer
- SPW, MATLAB, Visual Basic, or other communication system analytical tools
- GNSS payload, receiver, and system
- Space communication security (COMSEC) and transmission security (TRANSEC) methods and hardware
- Requirement definition and concept design of space communication or navigation systems.
- Communication system simulation analysis
- Satellite terminal communication system
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement