AAIS is seeking an experienced Data Analyst who will work with AAIS Statistical Reporting Affiliates to process and report experience data. The Sr. Data Analyst will become an expert on, not only insurance statistical data, but also all other product and external data with which the Data Engineering team works. This associate will champion data governance and analysis efforts which deliver rich business analytics and empowers the organization through actionable insights.
You will work in an agile, collaborative and cross-functional environment with Software Architects, Operations, Product Developers and Customer Engagement. Core to this role is working with other Data Engineers and Analysts to innovate and deliver creative solutions to complex challenges.
Property Casualty Insurance experience is required
- Intake - Receive and process statistical data from AAIS Affiliates
- Profile data – Analyze data to determine data quality, statistical validity, atomicity, and relationships by developing and utilizing various models (Kimball/Inmon, business-usable data sets, mining, etc.)
- Organize and Clean data - Organize and execute data quality checks on statistical data, implementing automation wherever possible
- Interface – provide customer support to AAIS Affiliates regarding the quality and timeliness of their data submissions
- Analyze – Use various tools and techniques to analyze the data to answer specific business problems, discover unasked questions and opportunities, find relevance (statistical, predictive, etc.) across data, etc.
- Develop – build data governance and quality tools which improve the reliability of AAIS data
- Define, organize, and self-manage data analysis projects under the leadership and strategic direction of the Director, Data Engineering.
- Collaborate with AAIS Statistical Reporting Affiliates to ensure that their experience data is submitted on time and quality issues are resolved.
- Design, develop and implement data quality tools and maintain rule sets which give data providers and AAIS data customers timely quality feedback.
- Maintain a working knowledge of data governance best practices and products.
- Collaborate with internal and external data customers to ensure that all data assets are properly organized, communicated and used throughout the organization.
- Own the specifications for data submissions and the evolution of their maturization.
- Provide expertise in analyzing and visualizing large, complex, and unique data sets.
- Provide practical leadership in data governance and coordinate work for the Data Governance Steering Committee.
What you will bring
- Ability to quickly become an expert on AAIS’s data and industry position.
- In depth knowledge of Property and Casualty Insurance products and statistical data.
- Experience with various business intelligence tools and concepts to transform raw data into useful information.
- Hands on experience working with large structured and unstructured data sets, including statistical analyses and data visualization.
- Entrepreneurial inclination to discover novel opportunities for applying analytical techniques to business problems across the insurance industry.
- Extensive skills in writing SQL queries and working with databases.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; must be capable of fully yet concisely articulating technical and data governance concepts to non-technical audiences.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in parallel and meet agreed upon deadlines by communicating and adjusting workload and expectations in collaboration with the Director, Data Engineering.
- Problem Solving/Critical Thinking skills: making the best decisions possible given the data quality and time available.
- Strong analytical thinking and ability to quickly pick up new methods, tools and domain expertise.
- Strong collaboration and mentoring skills.
- BS in Business, Math, Computer Science or other data engineering related discipline.
- 3+ years P/C insurance industry experience in an analytic or statistical capacity.
- Significant exposure to, ongoing education and training in, and hands-on experience with Data Governance concepts and practice including analytic methods and tools.
- Demonstrable expertise in analytical models and leveraging data to make business decisions.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- A record of success and top-tier achievement in prior work and education experiences.
- Bonus points for hands-on Hadoop experience.
- IDMA credentials a plus.