Description Job Description:
Leidos is seeking a Database Architect; position is contingent upon award of FFSS contract. Expected award date June/July 2021. Multiple Locations
This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience supporting the mission of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OI&T), Information Technology (IT) Operations and Services (ITOPS), Infrastructure Operations (IO).
The Database Architect will work with a dynamic and diverse team of management personnel, technical and engineering personnel, non-technical staff, and multiple customers. Requires excellent communication skills with all levels of management, customers, team members, and technical staff; may require mentoring lesser skilled associates. Must be able to keep all stakeholders informed, prioritize tasks, and have the ability to collaborate in cross-functional teams. Candidate may be required to create/update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) outlining how processes are followed. Will be required to support project schedules. Candidate will participate and contribute in various project meetings as a subject matter expert (SME). Candidate must have a calm and poised ability to resolve/troubleshoot incidents and problems. The candidate will require a high level of problem solving skills, be detailed oriented, and be able to complete tasks independently.Primary Responsibilities
- The Senior Database Architect has 5 years of experience in assessing various tools, products, and approaches for data management. Demonstrates ability to clearly define risks and benefits of various approaches to meet internal and external requirements.
- Work with team members, as well as working with computer hardware and operating system vendors to identify and specify database management systems' requirements, developing overall functional and database systems requirements and specifications; feasibility studies and trade-off analyses; defining data management systems scope and objectives.
- Evaluate the feasibility of proposed new and/or re-engineered database management systems projects.
- Provide sufficient operational documentation for the continued management of the implemented solution.
- Responsible for working with engineering and development resources to ensure that project specifications and the engineered solution adheres to applicable information technology policies and procedures;
- Explore alternatives and determines what improvements can be made (e.g., in work methods, processes and procedures);
- Translate functional requirements into designed specifications;
- Participate with specialists and managers within IT systems engineering entities, private sector hardware vendors and software vendors to arrive at solutions to mutual problems encountered and to provide knowledge and information concerning state-of-the-art system software, and hardware;
- Provide recommendations and solutions on database and application architecture, database performance, integrity, security and availability to management;
- Be responsible for communicating with concerned entities, researching the stated requirements, and providing a coherent project specification for other IT entities and/or private sector contractors for engineering and development of solutions;
- Consult with customers to refine functional requirements;
- Communicate specifications to appropriate development and testing entities within the IT organization and/or private sector vendors;
- Articulate, communicate and participate in team assignments, projects, problem(s) to be solved, actionable events, milestones, and/or program issues under review and deadlines and time frames for completion; and
External Referral Bonus:
- and able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust.
- Bachelors' Degree with 6 years' of applicable experience or 10 years' of experience in lieu of degree. Must be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI Clearance. Must have 2+ years JAVA experience.
- Master Degree, Computer Science, Systems, Business or related scientific /technical discipline, plus 5 years of experience. 10 additional years of relevant experience may be substituted for degree.
- Ability to work in a matrix team environment, actively and effectively managing relationships with customers, build and release managers, technical teams, product development, project managers, and other application managers.
- Experience leading information technology projects involving innovation and/or modernization.
- Experience developing and reporting upon metrics relative to operational and financial performance.
- Excellent organization and analytical skills.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with leadership, staff and customers
- Experience with RedShift (plus only)
- Doing DBA work in an AWS cloud environment and working with the VAEC (plus only)
- In our case, experience in working in a cloud environment and interfacing with those who manage the cloud.
- Assists in building/maintaining data dictionary.
- Assists in generating documentation (ERDs, Dictionary Reports, Performance Reports, etc.)
- Assists in data-related capacity planning tasks.
IneligiblePotential for Telework:
Yes, 25%Clearance Level Required:
NoScheduled Weekly Hours:
Database ManagementPay Range: