Senior Director/Vice President, Biology 1203766
Job Scope & Purpose:
Our exclusive partner is seeking a Senior Director / Vice President of Biology to lead a growing team responsible for developing new CRISPR gene therapy programs from target identification to lead optimization and in vivo validation. The therapeutic areas of focus are rare metabolic and rare neurodegenerative diseases. Our clients team is deeply rooted in CRISPR technology and advanced medicines. This role is being established as we are transitioning our approach from application development to rapidly advancing our programs toward IND. This individual will be responsible for bringing novel drug candidates and building out a portfolio of programs with high potential for treatment of diseases.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Ability to create and articulate a compelling long-term vision for the biology research team and implement and execute an aligned strategy that will ensure high quality outcomes
- Ability to strategically prioritize disease indications and nominate novel targets
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for the Biology team, providing scientific oversight and direction, and ensuring effective project progression
- Lead IND-enabling activities for developing in vivo gene therapies - from the identification of a lead product candidate to authoring or approving research reports for incorporation into an IND.
- More specifically, drive in vivo gene therapy programs from initiation to the nomination of development candidates -- by defining endpoints and managing data generation in-house and with CROs for: gene editing strategies using CRISPR enzymes, off-target assessments, delivery methods and vector designs, and in vivo disease models
- Manage and lead a team of scientific leaders while also mentoring project leaders, comfortably operating in a high-energy, team-first environment
- Retain and recruit top talent, develop, and mentor the team - with emphasis on people development, leadership, and culture
- Work with project teams to set objectives and manage multiple projects. Responsible for data quality and review from internal and external sources and evaluates the impact on research projects and goals. Provides input into go/no-go decisions for projects
- Develop accurate budget and staff projections to support the team's goals
Primary Job Requirements:
- A proven scientific leader with 10 years of industry experience in developing and applying advanced medicines to novel problems across the preclinical and early clinical phases of R&D
- Subject matter expertise in CNS or liver diseases is highly desirable.
- Clear and proven leadership skills and capabilities to work and influence within a matrix organization
- Track record in leading, managing and mentoring diverse research teams towards the goals of the department and the career aspirations of individuals
- Capability to balance priorities of a broad portfolio of project activities based on scientific and resource criteria
- Ability to represent the company both internally and externally with both the scientific and business communities
- Experience in assay development, screening, lead optimization, and mechanism of action studies are all desirable
- Outstanding teamwork, communication, and interpersonal skills with proficiency in networking, developing relationships and establishing credibility with key senior stakeholders
- A track record of leading innovation, scientific creativity coupled with strong analytical skills
Whether you are seeking a career change or simply interested in becoming part of our network, you will appreciate the ethics guiding each Stratacuity team member. We build lasting relationships with exceptional biopharmaceutical talent and take great care to protect your personal information. Upon receiving your inquiry, you may be directly contacted by a Stratacuity team member to discuss your career goals. We will not share your information with anyone without your direct prior consent.
PROVEN SCIENTIFIC PLACEMENT™
Stratacuity is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stratacuity will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact us.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at