Senior Engineer/Data Scientist - Asset AnalyticsLocation:
Charlotte, NCJob Summary and Description:
EPRI's Asset Analytics research focuses on leveraging data science and knowledge of T&S asset performance data (e.g. historical inspection, maintenance, testing, loading etc.) to perform analysis to better understand asset performance (e.g. power transformer rating calculation, analysis of historical maintenance (work management) data, classifying descriptive substation equipment work orders into specific codes - e.g. SF6 leaks, slow breakers, mechanism problems, etc.) to address utility challenges. In this position the qualified candidate will support technical staff by applying data science skills to asset performance analysis.
- Performs advanced engineering/scientific analysis with minimal direction and supervision. Beginning to demonstrate creativity and ingenuity in providing technical solutions. Works directly with EPRI staff and high interaction with members and industry.
- Conducts technical searches and analyzes information in support of the project team.
- Conducts independent research and begins to manage small, less complex projects
- Provides technical advice and counsel to other professionals within EPRI.
- Assists Project/Program managers in assessing customer needs, formulating technical approaches, preparing proposals, technical publications/papers, and making presentations.
- Reviews progress and evaluates results. Makes changes in methods, design or equipment where necessary.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Explore, Develop, and Document best practices for data science techniques to T&S asset performance data
Bachelor's Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
Additional Job Information: Required Experience
- 4-5 years of engineering experience or comparable work/educational experience required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Require some supervision and guidance to recognize strategic issues and build collaborative projects
- Responsible for the success of individual projects
- Works closely with contractors or staff to complete project research
- May participate in multiple projects, requiring effective time-management
- Individual contributor
- May present research results to advisors or technical staff/members
- Starting to develop technical depth in 1-2 areas
- Focus on projects within a program
- The ideal candidate would possess the following:
- Strong background in engineering or mathematics
- Ability to extract, clean, and curate data stored in various formats and structures
- Ability to load, manipulate and analyze data effectively
- Experience in use of R and Python programming
- Demonstrated ability to work with SQL databases
- Develop innovative data visualization approaches
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee's I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled
Together . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.