What you?ll be doing...
The Senior Security Engineer is a Tier III SOC Engineering resource responsible for the management of Verizon?s customer security infrastructure. Primary responsibilities for this role will include change management and incident management of firewalls. Change Management responsibilities include the acceptance, review, planning and implementation of approved changes to customer security assets, with the focus on firewalls.
The Senior Security Engineer is a skilled professional who possesses experience in configuration of and troubleshooting on a wide variety of security devices. This engineer is able to work as a member of a team and is able to communicate effectively and intelligently to our customer via phone, email or ticket escalations. The engineer is able to multi-task, take direction, prioritize and complete given assignments on a daily basis. The SOC Engineer should possess a working knowledge of how our customer?s specific security products operate, how networks interoperate, and how a managed security services provider delivers service to its customers. The engineer is extremely customer focused and is able to handle themselves in the face of adversity. The primary hours of the position are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, with flexibility with evening and weekend hours needed.
Primary responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Serving as subject matter expert (SME) on firewall engineering.
- Working with Design Engineers, Project Engineers, and Project Managers on customer firewall transitions, implementations, or transformation projects.
- Performing troubleshooting and diagnosing complex enterprise security device incidents.
- Working with enterprise security device vendors to resolve complex incidents, replace defective hardware, and receive software patches/fixes to resolve incidents.
- Acting as an escalation point for Tier 2 to perform troubleshooting, configuration, replacement, updating or installation of enterprise firewalls.
- Resolving escalated incidents impacting enterprise security devices.
- Performing in-depth research of assigned problems to identify resolution options, document options, select best option, and present information to customer and implement approved resolution.
- Creating and presenting Root Cause Analysis (RCA) documents when requested.
- Collaborating with Security Engineering and Project Management to create custom solutions for assigned customer.
- Taking ownership of assigned tasks, resolving tasks within assigned shift or correctly transition incident to oncoming shift if not resolved, track task to resolution.
- Assessing vendor vulnerability reports against existing customer devices. Working with customers to implement mitigation activities if required.
- Attending and participating in incident calls, reviewing, and understanding of documented processes.
- Managing changes including create/update/close change request in requisite change system, design change and submit change form, or review submitted change form and correct any deficiencies, stage, or implement change and troubleshoot failed changes.
- Participating in audit and compliance assessments performed internally, by external vendors or by customer audit teams.
- Performing other duties as required.
What we?re looking for...
You?ll need to have:
- Bachelor?s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Four or more years of experience as a Security Engineer, with a focus on firewall engineering, preferably with Illumio or Palo Alto experience.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally as needed.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor?s degree or higher in Computer Science, Security, or other technical field.
- Knowledge of the seven layers of OSI model and the ability to troubleshoot complex incidents involving the first four layers.
- ITIL Foundations training / certification.
- Relevant security certifications (e.g., CCSE, CCSP, JNCIP, CISSP, CCNP ? Security).
- Strong understanding of Firewall technologies.
- Experience in Linux, Proxies, firewalls, load balancers, and Security Cloud products.
- The ability to apply established procedures, policies, and best practices in the security field.
- The ability to solve complex problems creatively.
- Experience in change management processes.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage with customers to understand their requirements.
- The ability to identify gaps in processes.
- The ability to proactively follow up on customer issues.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- The ability to work with provided security policies to design and implement network and security rules and configurations across various security platforms.
- The ability to take ownership of assigned tasks and resolve them within assigned shift, or correctly transition incident to oncoming shift if not resolved, track task to resolution.
- An understanding of how proposed architectural changes can impact a customer?s business and the ability to articulate outcomes to technical and non-technical audiences.
- The ability to update process documents, provide peer-to-peer training, and interact with high-level Verizon and customer managers.
22CyberNET 22CyberVES 22CyberOps
When you join Verizon...
You?ll have the power to go beyond ? doing the work that?s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you?ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we?ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.