Senior Front-End Software Engineer
We are seeking a Senior Engineer that is willing and able to learn other technologies, new, existing, and old. Then apply this desire and experience in a large data centric environment to support our mission and vision. In this role, you conduct analysis, design, development, testing, and debugging of database-driven application programs. You will lead the development team in providing comprehensive support for existing and new applications, and offer expertise regarding methods, standards and technical considerations for software applications.
We are planning on modernizing its application portfolio to be hosted in a hybrid cloud environment from its current on-premise environment. This modernization effort will also include migrating to an open-source technology stack. This position works in an Agile/Scrum environment where the focus is on the teamwork and ownership of each project. The ideal incumbent has a drive for learning new things, has a desire to lead and mentor others and is passionate about engineering end-to-end technical solutions to drive our mission forward. A commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality are essential.
Currently, this position is 100% telework, however, as our company starts to return to our new normal, a hybrid work pattern, this position may be required to periodically work on-site at our office and the frequency would depend on the department/division's requirements. Therefore, candidates must either reside within a reasonable distance to commute to our office, or be willing to travel to our office in Herndon, when required.
How You Contribute
- Demonstrate competencies, which align with our corporate value Manager will provide more detail to candidates as needed.
- Core Competencies include: Customer Focus, Optimizes Work Processes, Collaborates, Communicates Effectively, and Be Open and Authentic.
- Customer Focus
- Analyze, design, develop, test, and debug web and/or cloud based multi-tier database-driven Java applications and components to support business requirements. Testing is inclusive of automated testing as part of an automated test suite which has been adopted by the development team.
- Support production issues, as required.
- Create and maintain technical and knowledgebase documentation.
- Diagnose problems, troubleshoot with internal stakeholders, and develop innovative technical solutions.
- Optimizes Work Processes
- Develop code that conforms to defensive coding practices that supports the OWASP Top 10 and is evaluated for security (e.g., cross site scripting, SQL injection) and improper coding practices by tools such as BURP Suite, Jacoco, SonarQube and Fortify.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Develop and optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability. Applications may have performance SLAs that must be met.
- Participate in the creation and maintenance of technical and knowledgebase documentation.
- Collaborate with team members to deliver technical solutions in an agile team environment.
- Work with Architects to produce Application designs that meet all functional and non-functional system requirements.
- Perform Code Reviews and Design Reviews.
- Independently lead team problem solving efforts.
- Communicates Effectively
- Explain Application designs to team developers and engineers to ensure common understanding and solution acceptance.
- Communicate clearly and effectively across IT, business process owners, and customers at all levels of the organization.
- Communicate progress and challenges to management in a timely manner.
- Be Open and Authentic
- Demonstrate openness to new perspectives and ideas and different technologies.
- Build trust with internal and external stakeholders by demonstrating consistency between words and actions.
- Position may be required to perform other duties as required. These essential functions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field. A combination of education and experience, including through military service will also be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with:
- UI, Front end technology (HTML5, CSS3, Responsive design, JS frameworks).
- Angular 2 (Typescript) and associated unit testing frameworks like Jasmine, KARMA.
- Applications that are externally facing must conform to usability guidelines such as Section 508 or WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines.
- Developing user interfaces in accordance with these guidelines and with testing using tools, such as JAWS.
- Working knowledge of responsive design techniques for acceptable page rendering regardless of device, such as Angular material, Bootstrap, etc.
- Advanced proficiency with a combination of the following (typically acquired by 8-10 years of experience):
- Excellent Java programming and/or legacy programming language, hands-on professional software/application development, hands-on SQL, and experience with building end-to-end solutions with front-end frameworks and integration with backend data services using API Web/REST Services.
- Maintaining code quality and security standards using tools such as SonarQube, Fortify, and/or Crucible.
- Agile/Scrum procedures and processes.
- Analyzing, troubleshooting, and debugging issues in a Production environment.
- MVC frameworks and/or multi-tier architectures.
- Application/web server required and cloud environment is highly desired.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written, verbal, and Interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate technical and nontechnical messages to all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Perform in a leadership and mentorship role.
- Work in a fast-paced environment and successfully deliver projects on time.
- Work independently with little supervision and be a team player.
- Lead, teach and persuade colleagues on design decisions.
- Live within a commutable distance of Herndon, VA or may be performed remotely from any of the following states: AL, CA, CO, GA, FL, KY, ME, MD, NV, NJ, NC, NY, OH, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY.
- Are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a good faith basis for seeking an exemption from this requirement.
Additional Desired Requirements
- Understanding of XML & JSON data formats.
For consideration, please submit your resume as a MS Word attachment to
"Combining Talent with Technology"