Since 1851, MassMutual's commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We're people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we're stronger. Description
At MassMutual, we're passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers. The Digital Experience team, part of MassMutual's Customer Experience organization, is comprised of collaborative, cross-functional, product centric groups who like to have fun, challenge each other, and are energized to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers. We design, build, and support all of MassMutual's customer-facing digital assets.
To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring Full Stack Developers to join our team. What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Full Stack Developer candidate is team-oriented, possesses excellent communication skills, and is skilled in all levels of web architecture and application development. You've developed multiple tiered web applications in the past, and are intimately familiar with web technologies. You know how to integrate 3rd party tools and agents to monitor performance and defects, and you deliver your products by following the best practices in continuous delivery.
You're also team-oriented and take a collaborative approach to working with others. With a flat leadership structure, the opportunity for flexibility within role, and development into other areas is a core reason most people desire to work in Digital Experience at MassMutual. Objectives of this role
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Drive toward the effective utilization of the latest technologies, partnering with business stakeholders across the team, as well as experts in other areas including data science to achieve these goals.
- Learn and master new and emerging technologies and take initiative to offer technical direction and creative solutions.
- Own all aspects of a product's technical implementation, and can advise, mentor, and coach other developers and/or consumers of the product.
Skills and qualifications
- Develop specifications of extremely complex software programming applications
- Responsible for components of an application or the overall operating system or complex sub-systems, such as sophisticated file management routines, large telecommunications networks, administrative and statistical software packages, performance evaluation and enhancements
- Perform related duties as assigned or requested
- Receives general supervision and is competent to work at the highest level of all technical phases of software programming while working on own most of the time
- May act as Project Leader
- Over 7 years experience with 5 of the following:
- Testing: experience testing systems with mock services/service virtualization
- Cloud Architecture: expertise building stateless/"12 factor" applications
- Continuous Integration: experience building pipelines to support continuous delivery; experience designing and modeling the value stream
- Git: expertise with workflow steps, including: branching, merging, rebasing, pull requests; expertise in reversion and alternative git flows
- APIs: expertise building RESTful APIs; proficiency publishing API specifications, such as Swagger docs
- Scripting Languages: expertise in system scripting languages, such as bash, Python, or Ruby
- Over 5 years experience with 4 of the following:
- Docker: experience running containers, managing volumes, managing images, docker-compose, swarm mode
- Virtualization: experience with virtual machines; familiarity with building images with packer
- Application Logging: expertise with application logging, including: log shipping, centralized aggregation, exploration tools (Splunk, ELK, etc)
- Caching : expertise with using caching systems for performance: CDNs, page caching, object caching, query caching, etc.
- Cloud Deployments: extensive experience with cloud deployment systems, such as Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, Fargate, Cloud Foundry, Heroku; expertise operating zero downtime deployments via "blue/green" (or "red/black"), rolling deployments, or canary releases
- Security: experience with modern security patterns and practices, such as OAuth2, OpenID Connect, and jwt tokens
- DNS: experience with controlling naming services for public and private networks; experience with round-robin, aliases, and common names
- Over 3 years experience with 2 of the following:
- Application Monitoring: experience with systems for monitoring system performance (AppDynamics, New Relic, AppNeta, etc)
- Defect Detection: experience with systems for automatically detecting defects (Sentry, etc)
- Database Deployments: experience deploying database system and content updates with zero downtime
- Mentorship: experience mentoring junior developers on advanced concepts; experience championing new technology
- 2+ years experience with technical writing for any of these types of documentation:
- Troubleshooting/How-To articles
- Reference material
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience with CSS frameworks (e.g. Sass, Less)
- Experience with unit test frameworks (e.g. mocha, chai,
- Experience collaborating with a team of programmers with varying skill sets
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to work in a rapid and iterative development environment
- Superior communication skills with the ability to work directly with business partners
Ranked No. 93 in the annual FORTUNE - 500 Ranking (FORTUNE - Magazine, June 2018) and recognized as a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It's more than our company structure - it's our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual. CORE VALUES Focus on the Customer:
We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy. Act with Integrity:
We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies. Value People:
We respect and learn from each other's diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential. Work Collaboratively:
We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand. Achieve Results:
We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better - everyone, every day.
For more information, visit www.massmutual.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.