KARL STORZ SE & Co. KG based in Tuttlingen, Germany, is a family-owned, global company committed to benefiting humanity by advancing medical device technology through innovation and education.
For more than 70 years, KARL STORZ has been dedicated to earning its international reputation as a leader that designs, engineers, manufactures, and markets all its products with an emphasis on visionary design, precision craftsmanship, and clinical effectiveness.
The successful candidate will join the Global Performance & Analytics (GPA) department within KARL STORZ and be based at our North American headquarters in El Segundo, CA. The GPA’s role is heavily focused on measuring global performance via a central set of key corporate metrics (KPIs) that appropriately gauge the company’s effectiveness at meeting our strategic innovation, growth, satisfaction, operational excellence and financial targets. The CEO and executive management team rely upon the GPA department to accurately reflect the current business environment (performance) as well as lead data-driven analysis that is used to inform important business decisions at critical junctures.
Under the direction of the Global Head of Performance and Analytics, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in helping shape the democratization of data and analytics across the KARL STORZ enterprise. The Senior Global Reporting & Visualization Specialist will collaborate with business and technical stakeholders to translate internal customer requirements into engaging visualization solutions and work to deliver best-in-class reporting standards that illuminate business insight while ensuring data quality and integrity. This position creates immersive dashboards, champions data visualization standards, and helps the GPA team monitor key performance across the company and med tech industry. This role requires a mixture of business acumen and technical expertise, along with an innate ability to build strong collegial partnerships to best understand evolving business needs and requirements to enable insights and uncover trends that drive crucial business decisions.
KARL STORZ is a highly diverse global enterprise with the need for timely, transparent and integrated analysis to support comprehensive business decisions for senior leadership. The ideal candidate will:
- Assist with the creation and deployment of meaningful corporate dashboards that provide executive management visibility, cross-team alignment, and actionable insights related to central metrics that matter for optimal business performance.
- Query diverse data sources and sets to extract relevant information needed to provide insightful analysis and visualizations.
- Participate with the GPA team and with business analytics leads in Learning Action Groups (LAGs) to identify key business questions to answer through data discoveries to inform executive management.
- Design effective summarizations and visualizations using business intelligence tools that help communicate complex analytics insights to non-technical audiences and demonstrate clear and concise takeaways.
- Support planned and ad-hoc briefings for executive management through compelling and informative visualizations, trend analyses, and descriptive analytics.
- Develop predictive analytical models to enable ‘what-if’ scenario planning and facilitate proactive decision-making be executive management.
The ideal candidate will:
- Work with the Global Information Steering Committee, IT and varied business unit colleagues to define and drive implementation of an enterprise-wide reporting strategy (standardized KPIs, consistent look and feel, reporting catalog/templates and tools, reporting hierarchies, enterprise architecture and data lineage, etc.) in an effort to enable the right level of self-service BI report/application for the right level of KARL STORZ business consumer and drive towards automation of these reports.
- Maintain an awareness of current research, innovations and best practices in the field of data visualization to set standards of excellence in reporting and visualization analysis across the company, reinforcing simplicity, consistency and insight generation.
- Identify, develop and recommend appropriate data visualizations and reporting methodologies, creating a cookbook of best practices for business analysts and ensure necessary colleagues are trained and well-versed in the reporting standards.
- Partner with key stakeholders to develop user-friendly designs and implement these specifications across reporting needs (scalable), supporting immersive communication of KPIs.
- Participate in peer reviews focused on data visualization best practices and help certify reports along agreed upon standards.
- Champion a collaborative analytics culture and continually help innovate and improve the infrastructure for the cross-functional analysts’ community at KARL STORZ to utilize.
- At KARL STORZ, not all business units or functional departments have experienced business analysts or report creators as dedicated resources.
The ideal candidate will:
- Assist with defining business stakeholder and visualization requirements for insightful and interactive self-service BI dashboards/reports that effectively and simply represent performance and descriptive decomposition for identified KPIs/metrics.
- Closely partner with our IT Business Intelligence team to create and help business users maintain insightful dashboards and scorecards that will enable underserved functional departments across KARL STORZ to monitor and improve their business outcomes.
- Coach, provide expertise, and make recommendations to optimize dashboards/reports to ensure appropriate visualizations when representing vast and/or diverse sets of data.
- Help grow self-service BI capabilities across the organization by ensuring the availability of appropriate tools, reporting methodologies and data dictionaries, and by supporting colleagues with guidance and training on their use.
- Identify opportunities to advance our reporting (c)abilities across KARL STORZ including delivering new insights, improving data integrity and reducing the burden for business subject analysts.
- Engage various areas of the business, conceptualizing and communicating things like KPIs, trend analytics and ‘what-if’ scenario planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g., analytics, business, computer science, economics, engineering, finance, information systems/technology, math, statistics or a related technical discipline).
- 5+ years in a prior reporting and visualization role with a strong track record of delivering insights and recommendations, creating engaging data visualizations and building analytical reporting capabilities to support business needs and end-user consumption.
- Mastery with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI or Qlik for full-stack data analysis, insight synthesis and presentation, preferably with certification credentials.
- Experience integrating data across disparate sources and platforms, both structured and unstructured.
Strong business acumen, possessing the ability to understand cross-functional trends, and how those trends impact corporate KPIs.
- Curious mindset with an ability to condense complex concepts and analysis into clear and concise takeaways that drive action.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and effectively communicate data-driven storylines to executive management for decision making purposes.
- Experience supporting an analytics transformation including profiling legacy reporting and providing next generation solution visualizations that simplify the end-user experience while providing greater insights.
Leveraging a strong visual design aesthetic and modelling best practices that can be applied across technologies and tools to build dashboards/reports.
- Comfortability partnering with data engineering teams to understand ETL processes and data collection; familiar with streamlining data operations and driving data governance.
Keeping a holistic experience-first mindset and effectively communicating across all levels (technical/non-technical, senior-level/general audiences) of the organization.
- Thriving in environments with multiple stakeholders and competing agendas by building consensus and driving change, all while sustaining a culture of team play across cross-functional and geographic teams, to achieve a common set of goals.
- Proven experience in using data (both quantitative and qualitative) visualization analysis techniques to inform novel designs that present dashboards/reports in an engaging manner to help end-users make better sense of their data.
- Mentoring and guiding others with the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms.
Coaching small groups of employees in the use of self-serve tools, reports and best practices.
- Advanced degree in quantitative field/technical discipline is highly desired.
- Experience with data preparation tools and proficiency with programming languages (SQL, R, Python) to analyze, explore and mine data sets to support reporting, dashboard building and ad-hoc analysis.
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical packages for analyzing data sets (SPSS, SAS, KNIME).
Experience with SAP tech stack products (HANA, IBP, SAC).
- Exposure to corporate performance management and identifying and defining performance measures in support of an organization’s mission and goals.
- Involvement working with agile development methodologies and ceremonies.
- Basic finance knowledge of financials statements including P&L, balance sheet, etc. is preferred.
- Desire to eventually morph the position into a more data scientist role in the future.