Clever Devices is seeking a dynamic Senior Hardware Engineer as we continue to grow our team. As a leader in the transit technology space, Clever Devices strives to make meaningful contributions to worldwide mobility. Our goal is to be THE leading provider of exciting, sustainable technology that improves the quality of mobility in communities around the world.
The Senior Hardware Design Engineer will design new products and make improvements to existing products. Must be capable of evaluating products, parts, components and/or processes for cost efficiency and reliability. The ideal candidate will be part of our engineering team building high performance embedded devices for the ITS market. This engineer will report to the Manager/Director of Hardware Engineering. The position is anchored to the Woodbury, NY office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Translate product requirements into design specifications
- Lead in electrical hardware design and development for complex products
- Manage internal and outsourced development partners on electrical hardware design
- Drive innovation and integration of new technologies
- Assist less-experienced engineers
- Possess extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Able to evaluate the effectiveness designs and implement changes if necessary
- Accurately and currently estimate cost, reliability, and safety factors
- Build, test and modify product prototypes
- Analyze information and recommend appropriate hardware to users
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration
- Retrieve data for analysis of system capabilities
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Minimum seven years of experience in hardware engineering and design.
- Experience with complex high speed hardware systems (from concept to release to retirement)
- Proficient in schematic capture, and board layout best practices. Ability to drive and review board layout.
- Expert in embedded digital design based on x86 & ARM architectures and system integration experience.
- Experience with: RS-232, RS-485, J-1708, J-1939 (CAN), USB (2.0), JTAG, Isolated digital I/O, Audio, A to D converters.
- Experience with high speed interfaces such as video (analog and digital), DDR and Ethernet.
- Experience with LCDs and video format conversion
- Experience with implementation and testing of following sub-system modules: WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n), Bluetooth (4.0 and higher), GPS/GNSS and Cellular IoT.
- Experience with design of power supplies of common topologies including isolated.
- Experience with hardware FPGA design a plus
- C/Assembler coding and able to specify and validate BIOS requirements
- Excellent troubleshooting and debug skills of complex design issues
- Experience with regulatory testing and approvals, including FCC and UL requirements
- Experience with qualification testing including thermal, EMI, and shock/vibration
- Familiarity with best design practices of equipment for rugged environments.
- Understanding of DFM and DFT requirements and trade-offs
- Excellent communication skills
About Clever Devices
Founded in 1987, Clever Devices is emerging as a clear leader in the transit industry, an industry that has stood the test of time. It has always been a growth industry, despite economic climates, and with ridership steadily increasing year after year, it will continue to be an industry that can be a solid career for you.
We are known for being an innovative market leader because we understand the challenges our clients face – from the bus depot to the statehouse. We understand the expectations and needs of all riders, including, and especially, the need to enhance accessibility.
Clever Devices is the only transit technology company known for designing scalable, modular, and cutting-edge solutions based on how transit systems operate in the real world. We specialize in the creation of sustainable transit systems, and our solutions solve problems that affect cities across the country. All Clever Devices products and services are designed to improve the safety and efficiency of our transportation infrastructure. With increased fuel prices, more stringent security measures, and pressing environmental concerns, planning for tomorrow properly is more important than ever.