Serve as the primary technical subject matter expert for ROOT (Regional ORCA Operations Team) System Operations Team, which supports the regional ORCA Fare System, and its seven Agency owners (ORCA Agencies). Under general supervision, serves as an IT Operations Engineer to design, develop, automate, implement, and maintain internal support tools and external deployments using automation and scripting which ensure the efficient and reliable operation of the ORCA fare system; analyzes and resolves technical issues related to network connectivity/devices, monitoring systems, all customer facing web and/or applications, and back end systems as needed; serves as a source of information on matters related to website and application implementation, IP networks, information security, , system maintenance, and updates; supports development, maintenance, and improvement of internal and external applications as necessary.
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Integrate applications/computer systems through APIs and development of custom code/scripts.
• Implement/manage monitoring systems to ensure high availability of network, server/application, services, field devices, database, and other components.
• Assist ROOT/ORCA agencies with release management, establishing best practices.
• Assess impacts (positive and negative) through technical evaluation of proposed code releases from vendors, partners, and in-house developers.
• Assist in the development and application of rigorous regression testing scripts/scenarios to ensure the reliability of proposed fare system software/hardware changes.
• Service desk functions including incident management, request fulfillment, and change management.
• Manage/deploy physical servers, operating systems, and virtual machines as required (Azure cloud, Red Hat/other Linux, Apache and others).
• Conduct analysis of fare/supporting system failures and compile probable causes and/or identify the root cause (RCA).
• Implement, manage, and administer Jira/other Atlassian systems, as well as Active Directory.
• Interface with other teams within Sound Transit IT, as well as internal customer teams.
• Build custom tools for reporting, maintenance, data conversion, analysis, and automate processes.
• Assist Information Security Manager with implementation and management of information security policies/best practices.
• Develop and document innovative processes which facilitate the efficient and reliable operation of the ORCA fare system/support tools.
• Provide support to the ROOT and Team on matters as directed; serve as staff on a variety of committees; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; ensure processes, policies, and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Occasional after-hours work required
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in information technology, computer science, application development engineering or closely related field and five years of combined development/IT operations experience in a distributed, enterprise production environment; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge of:
• Principles and practices of computer science and information systems.
• Sold understanding of implementation/management of cloud hosted systems and applications, including Azure.
• Agile process experience.
• Intermediate level understanding of API integration.
• Intermediate knowledge of Linux including software packaging and tuning.
• Understanding of enterprise web architecture.
• Solid understanding of Atlassian Jira or other service management software.
• Knowledge of administration and configuration of network monitoring tools such as Solarwinds, Nagios, Grafana, Icinga, or other similar tools.
• Troubleshooting in a DEV, SIT, UAT, and Production environment.
• Operations, services, and activities of information systems programs.
• Advanced principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of systems, applications, and networks.
Desired Knowledge of:
• Database structures, queries, and maintenance (Oracle, Sequel, or Postgres etc.).
• Advanced methods and techniques of using system design and development tools.
Required Skill in:
• Automating processes via scripting with at least one language such as Perl, PHP, Python or Bash.
• System integration through RESTful APIs.
• Administering and maintaining large, complex computer systems/applications.
• Providing service desk functions and highly-technical externally-facing Tier1/2 support.
• Detecting, isolating, and resolving system and application problems using logical and methodical processes.
• Reading, interpreting, and applying technical publications, manuals, and other documents.
• Configuring, installing, troubleshooting, upgrading, testing, and supporting systems programs and applications.
• Providing technical support to highly complex systems design and development projects.
• Analyzing procedures and data to develop logical solutions to complex systems problems.
• Preparing clear and concise technical complex reports and documentation, including root cause analysis/mitigations/continual service improvement.
• Working effectively under pressure, meeting deadlines, and adjusting to changing priorities.
• Researching, analyzing, and evaluating new service delivery methods and techniques.
• Demonstrating an intensely customer-centric and collaborative orientation with stakeholders.
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
• Verbally communicating complex issues and topics to a diverse array of audiences.
Desired Skill in:
• Java or another high-level language.
• Writing and executing SQL queries and/or data transformation (ETL, etc.)
• Advanced methods and techniques of systems programming, preparing system specifications, and preparing test data.
• Methods and techniques of complex system design and analysis. Methods and techniques of data/systems conversions and systems integrations.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)