Software Consultants, Inc. (SCI) is a Maryland-based small-business federal contracting firm with a focus on helping government agencies implement their most critical IT initiatives. SCI is headquartered in Vienna VA and has office location in Alexandria VA. SCI is a SEI/CMMI ML 3 and ISO 9001:2008 registered company. We offer excellent benefits and salary packages including Paid Time-Off, 401K, medical/dental/short-term & long-term disability insurance for all full-time employees.
Performs as a senior member of the system administration team to support the installation, optimization, integration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, modifications, security, and upgrading of IT systems and components to provide services that enable customers to effectively apply IT to business requirements. Has knowledge of tools and mechanisms for distributing new and upgraded software to ensure customers receive current versions of supported software, as they become available. Shall be able to work with others senior staff to recommend and design systems architecture and topology from both general and specific perspectives.
- Design, implement, and evaluate current and future infrastructure initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance
- Work closely with various IT groups including but not limited to project management, database administration, network and security teams, application team and assist in overall architectural design, implementation and troubleshooting
- Participate in data center consolidation, and migration to the cloud.
- Perform problem diagnosis, troubleshooting and resolution
- Perform new hardware and Linux OS installations, patching and upgrades
- Maintain operating systems and associated infrastructure software
- Design and document SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for system administration activities
- Install and maintain Server OS and configuration using tools automated installation like Kickstart and Configuration Management tools like Puppet
- Respond to service calls remotely using laptop over VPN.
- General Administration of Unix/Linux - Installation, Users Creation, Group Creation, Permissions, Creations of Folders, Mail/SMTP, Web (Apache, Tomcat), FTP, DNS, Proxy, Samba, Firewall (NAT, IP Tables, Packet Filter, IP Filter), LDAP, NFS, NIS, NFS/CIFS/FCP
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering or information systems or related field (or equivalent experience) required
- 7+ years Linux systems administration experience specifically in managing or supporting RedHat and/or Centos Linux in production environments
- Scripting skills: Highly skilled in a at least two typical scripting languages (shell/bash, perl, python, ruby)
- Cloud Management/Virtualization ( Amazon EC2, S3, CloudFormation) experience a plus
- Experience supporting VMWARE infrastructure in a large enterprise environment.
- Experience configuring Linux guests in a VMware ESX environment
- SAN/NAS/Storage solutions experience with NetApp, NFS, or related technologies
- Ability to develop a complete disaster recovery and system backup plan with the responsibility of producing and maintaining all system documentation
- Must be able to participate in a 7/24/365 on-call rotation
- Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends and/or during change windows outside of normal business hours
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, is self-motivated and able to define, plan and implement long-term goals, tasks and projects
- Ability to technically lead a project through the lifecycle and consult with the customer on business requirements
- Excellent problem solving, multitasking, troubleshooting skills and attention to details are required to work in this challenging and dynamic environment
- Very strong interpersonal, customer service, result oriented and team building skills are essential
- Have excellent communication skills – written, verbal, and presentation
- Expertise in developing automated scripts for monitoring or analyzing the operation of infrastructure, including Nagios scripts, log file reporting, Spacewalk/RedHat Satellite and Puppet scripts
- Experience working with F5 web load balancing systems a plus