is an innovative company delivering solutions that create value for its customers in the aerospace and defense markets. The company is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader that provides propulsion and energetics to the space, missile defense and strategic systems, tactical systems and armaments areas, in support of domestic and international markets. Additional information about Aerojet Rocketdyne can be obtained by visiting our websites at www.Rocket.com and www.AerojetRocketdyne.com.
The Engineering Business Operations Chief (BOC
) leads an organization responsible for providing operational support and continuous improvement leadership for the Engineering COE. The Business Operations Team provides expertise in developing overhead budgets, tracking budget performance, completing variance analysis, establishing return to green plans when necessary and providing monthly EAC updates. This team also evaluates the AR Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and Latest Revised Estimates (LRE) to forecast and manage staffing requirements and other engineering resources such as software, engineering laboratory and capital resources needed to support the business. The Business Operations Team is also responsible for leading and driving the Affordability, Continuous Improvement and Knowledge Management Initiatives within the Engineering organization. Coordinating responses to government compliance or any other external or internal audits of Engineering also falls within the responsibility of this team.
The BOC is a member of the Engineering Senior Leadership Team and reports directly to the Vice President of Engineering. The BOC will closely collaborate with the other members of the Engineering Senior Leadership Team (Discipline Leaders, Chief Engineers, and Engineering Site Leads) to shape the engineering strategy and drive execution at the enterprise level. The position also requires close collaboration with Finance, IT, the ARBOS Office and Operations Site Leadership across the enterprise.
The BOC supervises a small group of direct reports (1-3 people) to manage the Financial Performance and Engineering Resources for the COE. The BOC also has a subordinant manager who leads a sub-team that leads Engineering Affordability, Continuous Improvement and Knowledge Management Initiatives within the Engineering organization. The BOC will also be responsible for performance management and employee development of the team.
This position can be filled at the Senior Manager level or one level higher.
The preferred location for this position is at the Aerojet Rocketdyne offices in Canoga Park, CA,
but other locations may be considered. Travel to other Aerojet Rocketdyne and customer sites is expected.
25% - Provides oversight and management of developing the overall Engineering overhead budgets, tracking budget performance, completing variance analysis, establishing return to green plans when necessary and providing monthly EAC updates.
25% - Evaluates the AR Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and Latest Revised Estimates (LRE) to forecast and manage staffing requirements and other engineering resources such as software, engineering laboratory and capital resources needed to support the business.
25% - Leads and drives the Affordability, Continuous Improvement and Knowledge Management Initiatives. Coordinates responses to government compliance or any other external or internal audits. Sets the Vision, identify gaps, and lead the organization to excellence by modeling a commitment to continuous improvement using the Aerojet Rocketdyne Business Operating System (ARBOS).
15% - Collaborates with the Engineering Senior Leadership Team and Program Management Organization in addressing both strategic and tactical maters of concern.
5% - Provides mentorship, coaching, and other resources necessary to foster employee development within the Business Operations organization
5% - Leads by example in demonstrating commitment to the Aerojet Rocketdyne Rocket Values (http://www.rocketvalues.com
Requires a Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Engineering, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field and at least 14 years of progressive experience in engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience (including some prior leadership experience) working in technical, finance, or business operations roles supporting both development, production and production closeout efforts representative of the Aerojet Rocketdyne business portfolio.
- U.S. Citizenship required. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
- Extensive experience managing overhead budgets and projects with project management tools and best practices and their application.
- Outstanding communication skills (both written and verbal). Demonstrated ability to tune communication style to requirements of the target audience.
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact with both internal and external customers and ability to develop close, collaborative relationships with peers, customers, and senior leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and motivate team members.
- Familiarity with the financial reporting systems of Aerojet Rocketydne.
- Familiarity with full portfolio of Aerojet Rocketdyne programs and products.
- Working knowledge of Aerojet Rocketdyne Engineering organization, concept of operations, tools, processes, and standard work.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 15 pounds; may require minimal walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.