Description Job Description:
An opportunity exists for an experienced Research Scientist with a background in materials science and engineering to support NETL's solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) research. Research efforts will focus primarily on: (1) electrode engineering technology; (2) examination of electrode degradation processes; (3) fundamental reaction and transport measurements. Researcher will design and conduct experiments, complete literature surveys and generate or support generation of review frameworks and research papers, all the while collaborating in an integrated team research environment.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Standardized electrode manufacturing methods will be developed and employed by utilizing conventional and advanced ceramic processing methods in conjunction with various team efforts to understand electrode reaction and degradation mechanism, and to develop degradation models.
- Tailored materials and methods for electrode nano-engineering will be developed at a button cell scale and will also be evaluated at the commercial stack scale to ensure proper performance and sufficient potential to continue development.
- A series of candidate electrocatalyst materials will be selected for insertion into the cathode or anode microstructure to effect an improvement in cell performance, measured by techniques that investigate electrode activity, stability, and degradation.
- Long-duration exposure testing coupled with detailed ex-situ spectroscopy and electron microscopy to examine degradation arising from inherent impurities.
- Novel electrode and electrocatalyst materials will have their electrochemical properties characterized, as well as the degradation of those properties. The fundamental characterization of these materials will aid in materials selection and inform the long term SOFC degradation models being developed at NETL.
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering or related field with 2 years prior relevant experience; demonstrable skill in conducting laboratory experiments and will possess knowledge of conventional techniques of electrochemical performance testing (e.g. cyclic voltammetry, V-I curve generation, Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy, Ionic Conductivity, and Electrical Conductivity Relaxation).
- Experience in basic ceramic processing such as powder synthesis, tape casting, screen printing, and sintering.
- Experience in wet chemistry methods, and basic understanding of the general principles of fuel cell operation.
- Experience in microstructure analysis with SEM, EDS, AFM, etc., and sample preparation for the analyses.
- Experience in designing and constructing model experiment setup.
- Possess excellent communication skills and will possess demonstrable experience completing research in a collaborative/team environment.
External Referral Bonus:
- Knowledge of conventional and state-of-the-art fuel cell systems, including the factors limiting fuel cell performance and common degradation phenomena in SOFCs.
- Scanning electron microscopy, including sample preparation and the analysis of microstructure and local composition within porous electrodes.
- Phase identification using x-ray diffraction and/or vibrational spectroscopy.
IneligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
NoScheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.