Senior Network Engineer - CCNA (VG00161) (Job Number:433332)
The Department of State, Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) Telecommunications, Wireless, and Data (TWD) Division provides its users with mission critical domestic LAN/WAN data services across multiple locations in the DC Metro Area and remote locations. In support of these services, the TWD IPT (Integrated Project Team) Network Engineer provides data engineering support, with a particular focus on project engineering initiatives.
The IPT Network Engineer supports the Department of State (DoS) Vanguard Program, Service Management Office (SMO) which is responsible for administering, deploying and maintaining Cisco and products, as well as a working knowledge of encryption solutions and knowledge of local and wide-area networks. This hands-on position includes engineering support for service interruptions, planned equipment installations, and infrastructure support. This position can also include planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, deploying supporting and optimizing all network hardware and software. The IPT Network Engineer reports directly to the IPT Voice/Data Engineering Lead, and the IPT Manager.
Description of Duties:
- Promptly respond to engineering support requests from the IPT Engineering Lead, IPT Manager, and/or IPT Project Manager.
- Demonstrate an ability to support and/or serve as the lead engineer on multiple, concurrent engineering projects.
- Supports change and configuration management for all voice and data assets.
- Troubleshoot, respond, and resolve escalated incidents/service requests and/or planned/unplanned outages.
- Conduct Route Cause Analysis (RCA) and After-action Review (AAR) following unplanned outages.
- Supports Move, Add, and Change requests for the data network to include day-to-day requests/orders and Projects.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and/or other network problems, and replace defective components associated with both data and voice infrastructures.
- Interfaces with other IRM Support Teams on system/network infrastructure problems and advises management on technical improvements and/or solutions to identified problems and/or gaps.
- Identifies and recommends solutions, products and services to support the enterprise's accomplishments of business goals or technical needs.
- Researches, evaluates and stays current on emerging tools, techniques and technologies.
- Promptly respond to escalated tickets and/or issues. Analyze reported problems and perform thorough and accurate troubleshooting steps to promptly resolve issues. Must have working knowledge of the Remedy ticketing system to document ticket status and resolutions. Perform customer support activities on escalated issues including troubleshooting, research, resolution, reporting, documentation and customer follow up.
- Provides network performance statistics and reports and recommends technical enhancements to the network.
- Contributes to systems infrastructure plans based on an understanding of the customer's organizational direction, technical context and business needs.
- Contributes to the creation of new policies and procedures for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and follows established SOPs and process guides. The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of commitment to perform engineering support functions as scheduled, providing timely responses to required system support after normal business hours and on weekends. Additionally, the candidate should have an eye for detail, ability to multi-task, organize priorities, and work in a systematic style following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guides.
- Bachelor's Degree and 9+ years of experience; OR, High School equivalent and 13+ years of experience.
- Active Top Secret clearance is required.
- Cisco CCNA Certification a minimum.
- Strong LAN/WAN/MAN design and migration experience with a focus on WAN services (ISDN, Frame-Relay, Point-to-Point, DMVPN, METRO ETHERNET, VPLS, TLS, and MPLS).
- Works extensively with Cisco Layer 2 and Layer 3 solutions and products.
- Understand and have the ability to implement Cisco router, switch, and ASA products.
- Cisco CCNP Certification (Cisco Certified Network Professional)
- Familiarity and working knowledge of telecommunication circuit types (e.g., P2P T1/T3, TDM, IP Ethernet)
- Skills troubleshooting access-lists, IPv4 and IPv6 issues across varying protocols such as OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and Static Routing.
- Working knowledge and understanding of implementing various routing protocols to include OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and Static Routes.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral skills. From time to time, candidate may be asked to present project outline to customer.
- Ability to conduct research on networking products with various vendors to accommodate changing customer requirements.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented collaborative environment while being highly motivated to take the lead on projects.
- State Department experience a plus.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC has approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Jan 10, 2018, 5:00:00 AM
Primary Location: United States-DC-WASHINGTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Top Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Shift: Day Job