About this role
You'll be joining the Core Platform team for FutureAdvisor. The Core Platform team handles authoring internal services for use by the product-engineering teams & is the primary owner of infrastructure, in an SRE-type model. We have a broad set of responsibilities, but your priorities will always be clear.
Our "customers" are the other engineering teams across FutureAdvisor, and we work with them on a wide variety of tasks, from advising on specific implementations, up to defining and improving our SDLC.
We're a very collaborative team, with regular pair- and mob-programming, retrospectives, postmortems, and a development budget for engineering-led improvements. You'll be granted a lot of flexibility and responsibility, and you'll be trusted to demonstrate good judgement.
Some examples of our recent projects from the past few months:
- rehoming a service from one VPC into a new one, along with automating the release process (shell scripting, CloudFormation, Terraform)
- building a new service to replace an old one to provide financial data to other internal services (Kotlin, Lambda, CloudFormation)
- upgrading and hardening the operating system (via Packer) and conducting a methodical test & rollout across all environments
- building a service for auditably managing access to different environments (Lambda & Rails)
- upgrading the logging in Rails to be secure-by-default. We handle a lot of sensitive data about people's financial lives, and we got tired of having to add the security to each controller, and instead just switched some of the default logging behavior
- building a certificate management tool which allows us to monitor for expiring certificates
- building a generic database anonymizer to let us export data from production systems while guaranteeing that all sensitive data is removed first
- revising our Disaster Recovery plans
- AWS (both EC2 and serverless)
- Bash scripting
You'll be expected to use your hard skills to do a lot of the work on this team, but there are some soft skills that will play into your success on this team:
- We have lots of runbooks and we are a very collaborative team. Still, it's valuable if you are comfortable taking an arbitrary task and digging in to figure things out (including asking questions after doing your own investigation).
- Being comfortable saying "I don't know". It's ok to say "I don't know" when it's followed by "let's figure it out!"
- When you find that something isn't documented, you should want to produce some. We have a joke at FutureAdvisor that "documentation is a love letter to your future self". In general, you should appreciate the value of good runbooks, code comments, and tickets. You'll be expected to take ad-hoc Slack discussions about your work and move the information into a better home for it.
- You should bring a general joy and love for learning new things. We have a fairly mature product, and the more you learn about the different areas, as well as the product usage, the more you'll be able to get done.
- While there are a few ad-hoc tasks, we generally manage our infrastructure through repeatable automation. When there are ad-hoc tasks, you should help make the judgement call if we should automate it.
- Demonstrating good usage of our tools and processes. Instead of saying "someone should fix X", file a ticket for it. If it's quickly doable, file the ticket then do it on the spot. Doing good work means that you are trusted to make these judgement calls.
We have a well-stocked kitchen, and catered lunch every day thanks to Zesty. You won't be hungry or thirsty.
Our office is a short walk from Muni and BART, and we're right next to the new Transbay bus station (with the great new rooftop park). Perfect for walk-n-talks.
Hardware is all MBP & giant external monitors.
Although this is an onsite role, once you're onboarded, you'll be able to take advantage of our FTO and remote work policies. Delivering work is important, and having flexibility and downtime is an important part of that.
- Architect, develop and improve our AWS-based deployment processes using container technologies such as Docker.
- Liaise with our customers (Engineering teams) and architects to design improvements to our development lifecycle.
- Work with the rest of the DevOps team to improve our overall infrastructure reliability, scalability and monitoring.
- Automate processes so that engineers can self-service their operational requirements.
- Maintain and improve our CI/CD infrastructure writing code in multiple scripting languages such as bash, Ruby, Go, etc.
- Participating actively in cross-functional feature requirements gathering, design, and implementation.
- Performing code reviews and providing timely feedback to other engineers.
- Mentoring junior members of the engineering team on the latest technologies and best practices.
- Networking competency
- Collaborative work style
- 8+ years of professional software development experience in an Agile SDLC.
- At least 6 years of engineering development experience in two major scripting languages (Ruby, Python, Go, NodeJS, Groovy).
- At least 4 years of development experience with a major compiled language
- At least 3 years of experience creating and maintaining Cloud infrastructure as code using technologies such as Terraform or Cloudformation.
- At least 2 years of experience with Configuration Management eg. Salt, Chef, Puppet.
- At least 2 years of experience developing and maintaining a CI system.
- At least 3 years of experience with containers, such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS environment or similar.
- Have a strong mission to automate everything, but you know when introducing automation might be a bad idea.
- DBA experience (MySQL preferred)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related experience
BlackRock s purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.84 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.