Senior Principal Engineer Opto-Mechanical
Adaptive Optics Associates Xinetics (AOX), a wholly-owned Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) Business Venture, is currently seeking a Senior Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer to support our Xinetics program activities. AOA-Xinetics designs, develops, and manufactures precision, advanced optical products and systems such as deformable mirrors, optical systems, adaptive optics control systems and silicon carbide optical structures for the U.S. Government, commercial customers, and U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy, semiconductor capital equipment, Defense ISR, and Directed Energy. Several potential direct and adjacent application areas also exist. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGAS business initiatives.
AOX delivers industrial photonics systems and development services for a variety of customers and applications. AOX excels in a range of applications from adaptive optical systems, deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, precision actuators, to photonic systems that acquire and process data in real time for a variety of high availability applications. AOX's capabilities include lightweight passive and active hybrid CERAFORM silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software.Position Description:
The Senior Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer will perform Mechanical Design and Analysis for space, ground and airborne optical systems, tooling, and test equipment, leading engineering design efforts of complex electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems, designing hardware that satisfies system requirements, documenting design approaches, detailing parts and assembly drawings to support the development, manufacture, and test of optical systems. Additional expectations include support to new business opportunities and active leadership and development of junior engineers, designers and technicians. The Senior Principal Opto- Mechanical Engineer will report to the Xinetics Engineering Manager.Role and Responsibilities:
- With minimal guidance, perform opto-mechanical and electro-mechanical engineering on multiple projects through all phases of development and manufacturing.
- Create part and assembly models, detailed drawings and associated parts lists, in accordance with AMSE Y14.5 and AOX drawing standards.
- Conduct peer reviews of other engineer's work products
- Execute new optical designs with a focus on DFM
- Perform analysis of optics, mounting strategies, detailed geometric tolerances, manufacturability, and cost
- Support transition to production and manufacturing engineering
- Provide technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of technical acumen, ingenuity and creativity.
- Perform trade studies, design of experiments, assembly and testing of parts, components, and assemblies
- Travel to customer and supplier sites as required
- Provide technical content for proposals, estimate and track mechanical design costs, create schedule estimates, and make presentations to customers and company management.
- Bachelors in Science in Physics, Mechanical or Optical Engineering
- 9+ years hands-on opto-mechanical design and development in DoD or related industry.
- Demonstrated understanding of mechanical and opto-mechanical best practices and basic understanding of the other engineering disciplines
- Proficient with opto-mechanical analysis and FEA
- Experience in lens and mirror mounting techniques large and small
- Flexure and kinematic mount design
- Knowledge of various adhesive applications and bonding techniques in opto-mechanical designs
- Working knowledge of optical assy/ alignment/ test equipment/ tools
- Able to analyze, problem solve, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Results-oriented with strong personal drive and ownership in meeting commitments
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and SolidWorks (or equivalent) design and analysis
- Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.ship: If hired, the candidate will be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Working Environment & Physical Demands:
- Master's Degree + 7 years hands-on opto-mechanical design and development experience in DoD or related industry
- Athermalized telescope design and mounting in a space environment
- Silicon Carbide/Ceramics
- Adhesive applications in ultrahigh vacuum
- Finite Element Analysis using NASTRAN
- Sigfit, Zemax, or Matlab Experience
- Interferometer and optical alignment experience
- Working knowledge of geometric optics, wave optics, Gaussian propagation, and aberration theory.
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- This position is based in Devens MA
- Ability to handle multiple tasks
- Flexibility to changing environment
- An estimate of travel up to 10% may be required
- Ability to sit for extended periods of times and light physical effort required
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.