p>Senior Principal Software Engineer
Seattle, WA OR Hopkinton, MA
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company - we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can-t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Software Senior Principal Engineer on our Unstructured Data Storage team in Seattle.
The Software Engineering team delivers next-generation software application enhancements and new products for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and develop software for platforms, peripherals, applications and diagnostics - all with the most advanced technologies, tools, software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners. Key Responsibilities
- Delivers features for a Data Analysis & Management product for the Isilon (Scale-out NAS) and ECS (Scale-out Object) storage platforms.
- Leads the design and architecture of high-quality, scalable management software systems
- Prepares, reviews and analyzes software specifications for complex products and systems
- Leads the development, review, analysis and implementation of test strategies for software/storage products and systems
- Leads the development, test and integration of code for new or existing software of significant complexity involving multiple teams
- Expert in Object-Oriented Design (Java and/or Python preferred)
- Experience developing extensible and maintainable designs that can be proven to be free of race conditions
- History of working within, and understanding, heavily multi-threaded code with significant inter-thread interaction
- Leading by example with unit tests and automated functional tests written at time of development
- Python or Java expertise--a deep understanding of how Java/Python works under the covers, including the threading model
- Ability to tune for speed
- Understands trade-offs in hardware/software interactions
- Development compatible with always-ready-to-ship main code branch
- Familiarity with all major CS concepts, from compilers to databases to sort algorithms
- Ability to find the best solution collaboratively (mandatory)
- Java experience highly desirable
- Expertise tracking down Linux socket and VFS issues a plus
- Expertise tracking down Java issues via jstack and other JVM tools a plus
- Comfort developing in, and debugging on, Linux is desirable
- Familiarity with modern Data Science concepts a plus
- Ability to estimate development effort
- Ability to document product and processes
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities - all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you-re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here