Resp & Qualifications COMPANY SUMMARY:
CareFirst, Inc., and its affiliated companies, generally referred to as CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield (CareFirst), is the Mid-Atlantic region’s largest private sector health insurer, serving the healthcare needs of 3.5 million members in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and portions of northern Virginia. The Company offers a comprehensive portfolio of products and services to individuals and groups, as well as state and federal government sponsored plans. With a market share almost three times that of the closest competitor, the company commands 45 percent penetration across the region.
In July 2018, Brian D. Pieninck assumed the role of President and CEO after serving as the company’s COO of Strategic Business Units and IT Division. Under his leadership, the organization completed an extensive review of its operations and clinical programs, resulting in an expansive 3-year strategy to grow and diversify the company’s core business. Along with a 5-year vision to drive the transformation of the healthcare experience across the continuum of its members, partners, and communities, the company has placed a renewed and intentional focus on fostering a mission-based culture, which drives every decision the company makes. The organization employs over 5,600 full-time employees in Maryland, Northern Virginia, the District of Columbia, and West Virginia. CareFirst has earned multiple workplace awards recognizing its leadership in diversity and inclusion, wellness engagement, and creation of a supportive and equitable work environment for all employees.
At CareFirst, you are part of an inspired, collaborative team that is building the healthcare experience we want for our families and our future. Every day, we make a meaningful difference in the communities where we live and work.
We practice empathy, seek to understand, invest in inclusion, demand equity and nurture belonging every day for our employees and the communities we serve. We rely on the rich diversity of our employees’ experiences and backgrounds to achieve our mission. Every year we host a Week of Equity and Action where we deepen our investment and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. During this week thousands of employees engage in workshops and volunteerism with the goal of bettering themselves and our community.
- Women make up around 70% of CareFirst’s employee population, and over 50% identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color).
- We have 9 resource groups that connect employees over shared identities (LGBTQ, veteran status, race, etc.) and passions (climate change, healthy living, leadership development).
- Employees are encouraged to give back and volunteer in their communities with their civic engagement hours.
As a not-for-profit, CareFirst regularly ranks among the most philanthropic organizations with $65 million invested in the community in 2020 to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety, and quality of healthcare throughout its market area. The company’s employees consistently add to this impact by devoting thousands of volunteer hours to numerous community organizations and social causes. The company’s continued efforts to reinvest in community health care programs has repeatedly earned CareFirst regional accolades as a leading corporate philanthropist, including the No. 2 and No. 7 spots on the Baltimore Business Journal and Washington Business Journal’s 2019 list of top corporate givers, respectively.PURPOSE:
Leads multiple cross functional teams, or Agile Release train (ART) guiding them on how to use Agile, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Scrum and Lean(e.g. Kanban) values/practices through servant leadership. Creates and nurtures a culture of continuous learning, growth mindset and agile maturity in teams/ART through agile practices, agile mindset, metrics, SAFe guidelines, removes blockers and partners with leadership. Exhibits and permeates the behaviors of a Lean-Agile Leader with a Lean-Agile Mindset.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitates the team’s progress toward team goals – The Sr. Scrum Master acts as the facilitator for many teams or as the Release Train Engineer (RTE) for a SAFe Agile release train(ART). Continuously engage in challenging the old ways of working to improve team level or ART level performance in the areas of quality, predictability, flow, velocity and other metrics defined by the enterprise. Help the team or ART focus on daily and/or Iteration Goals in the context of the current Program Increment (PI) or Release Objectives. Leads team/ART efforts in relentless improvement – Helps the team improve and take responsibility for their actions; facilitates the team retrospective. Teaches problem-solving techniques and helps the team become better problem-solvers for themselves. Facilitates team meetings such as Daily Stand-up, Iteration Planning, Iteration Review, Iteration Retrospective etc or ART level meetings such as PI planning, Scrum of Scrums, PI retrospectives etc. Ensures the DoD (Definition of done) and other team/ART level working agreements are being followed. Facilitates discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution within the team/ART to improve team level performance and value delivery.
- Supports the team’s/ART's efforts to continuously improve communications and relationships with other teams. Takes a lead role in coordinating work with other teams to improve flow and throughput. Frequently represent the team in the Scrum of Scrums (SoS), or run the Scrum of Scrum meeting, and/or other program level ceremonies to plan, execute, and improve the work & operating models. Helps their teams remain aware of opportunities to engage and improve larger program effectiveness. Helps their teams build effective relationships with the supporting teams like User Experience, Architecture, Shared Services etc. Supports the Product Owner and Product Management areas in their efforts to manage the backlog and guide the team while facilitating a healthy team dynamic with respect to priorities and scope.
- Eliminates impediments by engaging the right stakeholders within the organization or partner organizations. The Sr. Scrum Master supports the team/ART in addressing and eliminating these issues to improve the likelihood of achieving the objectives of the Iteration or PI. Assists with internal and external communication and improves transparency.
- Exhibits and infuses the behaviors of a Lean-Agile Leader to nurture a Lean-Agile Mindset in the team, leadership and the program. Provide input and lead initiatives to improve business agility in the team/program/enterprise. Identify and drive the culture change required to improve agility within their teams and ART's.
Leads a team utilizing a matrix management system.QUALIFICATIONS:Education Level:
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or related field OR inlieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.Licenses/Certifications:
- Certified Scrum Master (CSP) Upon Hire Required.
- SAFe Scrum Master Certification Upon Hire Preferred.
- Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer Preferred.
- Certified Scrum Professional Preferred.
8 years or equivalent in the use of Lean, Agile methodologies including three plus years as Scrum Master or Kanban lead. Proven success leading multiple Agile teams to agile maturity and improved customer outcomes.Preferred Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Scrum Master on a SAFe Agile Release train.
- Leading Change and continuous improvement, working with a cross functional team by applying lean agile methods.
- Experience doing value stream mapping, system level optimizations etc. applying Theory of Constraints and other Lean techniques.
Department Department: Consumer ToolEqual Employment Opportunity
- Knowledge of Lean Agile values, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of Lean agile frameworks like Scrum, Kanban.
- Knowledge of Scaling frameworks like SAFe.
- Demonstrate strong and clear accountability for program success.
- Knowledge of Product Ownership, DevOps, Test Automation practices etc
- Excellent communication skills written and oral.
- Self starter with ability to prioritize work while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Ability to organize data and create metrics/reports/dashboards.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and industry standard Agile tools.
- Ability to drive change at different levels, manage conflicts constructively.
- Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of theCompany to provide equal employment opportunities to allqualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careersFederal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship