Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Senior Software Developer/Technical Lead. This opportunity is a permanent, full-time position with MSC and it is on-site at the NIH in Bethesda, MD.
The Senior Software Developer will serve as a Technical Lead, working with a team to provide solutions for and continue development on NCBI's bioinformatics pipelines. NCBI's annotation pipelines apply Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data to derive structural and functional annotation on a wide diversity of genomes, for the purpose of serving the research and clinical community and to drive new life sciences discoveries. The future development of NCBI bioinformatics pipelines will make this data more useful in a wide variety of fields: Medical Health (genetic diseases, cancer, etc), Public Health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks, etc.), microbial diversity, and many more.
* 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
* Programming experience in a Linux environment
* Experience with Cloud technologies a strong plus:
* AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
* GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
* Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
* Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or Python
* Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
* Experience with open source projects
* Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
* 'Excellent written and oral communication skills
* 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
* Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
* Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
* Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (github, etc.)
* Experience managing production workflow of an online public database
* Experience with RESTful API design
* Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI bioinformatics pipelines
* Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms
* Facilitate development of cloud-ready tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field
* Learn new technologies, keep up with internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team
* Lead other developers
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Department: Information Technology