Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Senior Software Developer
to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
The Senior Software Developer will work on solutions to support continued development of NCBI's Sequence Read Archive (SRA) - the world premier archive of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. SRA makes biological sequence data derived from NGS available to the research community to enhance reproducibility and allow for new discoveries by analyzing and comparing data sets. SRA is a BigData archive measured in tens of petabytes of stored data. The future development of SRA will make this data more useful for wide variety fields: Medical Health (genetic diseases, cancer, etc.), Public Health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks, etc.), microbial diversity, and many more. Duties & Responsibilities
Requirements Required Skills
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of the Sequence Read Archive (SRA) and related databases.
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms and to further advance the usefulness of SRA data.
- Facilitate development of "cloud ready" tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field.
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
- Lead other developers.
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data, hundreds of terrabytes or more
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies:
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
- GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
- Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
- Fluency in some of scripting languages such as bash, csh, perl, or python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (github, etc.)
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.