External job description
Alexa AI, the speech processing and personal assistant technology behind Amazon Echo, is seeking a software engineer for our AI Data eXperience (DX) organization, based out of Amazon's state-of-the-art Kendall Square/Cambridge, Massachusetts Development Center. At Alexa's Secure AI Foundation (SAIF) Data, we build the data services that enable the fast, secure, and massive scale ML that delivers delightful Alexa interactions to users.
The AI Data eXperience (DX) team enables Alexa machine learning scientists, software engineers and BI analysts to securely, easily, quickly and cost-efficiently access data in the vast Alexa data lake.Our single mission is to improve modeler's productivity by providing the most engaging data experience to our modeling community. As a member of the DX team, you play a critical role in delivering the life blood of AI - data - to the Alexa AI community to help tackle the most cutting edge conversational AI problems at an exabyte scale.
The Data eXperience (DX) team is responsible for building tools for data discovery, data visualization, and insights over one of Amazon's largest data lakes. In addition, our team is also responsible for developing data development kits (DDK) used by our modelers and scientists to increase the speed of experimentation. Our team creates fast search APIs, data catalogues, and rich data exploration user interfaces to help our scientists explore our vast exabyte scale data lake.
In the SAIF Data organization, you will work in a highly collaborative and supportive environment across all stages of an agile software development lifecycle, including architecture design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You will build ML services using AWS at a large scale found nowhere else. Your efforts will support the successful and well-loved Alexa powered products. Our combination of challenging technical problems, critical services, and a quickly growing organization will provide you with unique opportunities for career growth.
What you'll be doing:
- Solve distributed systems problems at Alexa scale.
- Design, implement, and operate large scale 24x7 services using Java, Python, and AWS services such as EC2, S3, Kinesis, Lambda, DynamoDB, and many more.
- Collaborate with AWS solutions architects and other software engineers. Our team is the largest customer of several AWS offerings in the world, and we are constantly testing the limits of those offerings.
- Provide technical guidance on software design, architecture, patterns and practices.
- Help your team self-organize and create software development processes and practices that will work best for you and your teammates.
- Build relationships with your customers, partner teams, and the engineers on your team.
Your background and who you are:
- You have experience reliably delivering high-quality, distributed, testable, and scalable software. You are driven by delivering value to your customer.
- You love to work with teams that are always raising the bar. You believe that a team is strongest when it is diverse and includes multiple perspectives.
- You enjoy the challenges of highly technical problems that you define and solve in real time.
- You believe that there are multiple ways to solve a problem, each with different trade-offs. You don't typically think in terms of the "right" or "wrong" way to do something, but rather the most effective path given the current constraints.
- You are excited by the technical challenges of large scale service development from architectural design, to implementation, to operations.
- You put yourself into your customer's shoes and immerse yourself in the customer experience to understand how to serve them better.
- You've made mistakes in the past, have learned a lot from them, and apply these learnings regularly.
- You want to have an impact on a hugely successful and growing product that improves people's lives.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 10+ years professional experience in software development
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, C#, or Python
- Understanding of scalable distributed computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
- Familiarity with Cloud architecture
- Experience developing cloud and distributed software services and an understanding of design for security, availability, and performance.
- Development experience defining, developing, and maintaining REST based interfaces.
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Proven results and a history of project delivery
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse team
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.