The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing (CQC) located on the Caltech campus in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Senior Software Engineer to work on the compilation, control, and error correction components of our quantum computing stack. The ideal candidate will be able to translate high-level requirements and novel research into software implementations compatible with our control systems and compilation and error correction toolchain. This requires someone who (1) has a strong desire to work within a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers and (2) demonstrates ownership in initiating and driving projects to completion.
Key job responsibilities
- Develop performant, user-friendly, extendable, maintainable software for high-performance compilation, control, and error correction tasks
- Drive architecture and implementation for the development of our compilation toolchain
- Develop, test, and optimize features in simulation and QPU in-the-loop contexts
- Owns stability of compilers and error correction implementations
- Providing mentorship to more junior members of the team
We are looking for candidates with strong engineering principles, resourcefulness and a bias for action, superior problem solving and excellent communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential. As a software engineer embedded in a research organization, you will have the opportunity to work on new ideas and stay abreast of the field of experimental quantum computation.
A day in the life
The lifetime of your projects will likely begin with a lot of discussion and negotiation with our scientists and engineers to translate their software or hardware feature requests into design proposals that demonstrate sensible tradeoffs between complexity and delivery. This also presents an excellent opportunity to learn more about the field of quantum computing. Once a design proposal has been accepted, you will implement it in a logical and maintainable manner. You will also be encouraged to take ownership over the stability and quality of the stack by identifying, proposing, and implementing features that will accelerate our realization of quantum computing technologies.
About the team
You will be joining the Software team within the Quantum Computing organization. Our team is comprised of scientists and software engineers who are building scalable software that enables quantum computing technologies. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 5+ years of experience in developing software in Python, Julia, C, C++, Erlang, or Rust
- 5+ years of experience in developing compilers for either quantum or classical systems
- An interest in quantum computing
Experience with any of the following
- Experience working at the the control, compilation, and/or error correction layer of the quantum computing stack
- Implementation and middleware on control hardware such as lab-grade AWGs/digitizers, COTS hardware, or custom solutions.
- Experience shipping production quality systems software
- Experience with non-CPU architectures non-CPU architectures such as GPUs, FPGAs, or ASICs
- Experience working closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists in a research and development context
- LLVM, MLIR, XLA, Glow, intermediate representations, compiler middle-ends
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.