Senior Software Engineer Data / Analytics
Senior Software Engineer Data / Analytics
At Pearson, we re committed to a world that s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology and each other to surpass these boundaries we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Personalized Learning and Analytics team (PLA) in Pearson is responsible for software development of analytics and machine learning platforms. PLA is growing and we are looking for a new team member to help build a machine learning solution for Pearson s Global Learning Platform (GLP). Together with a highly multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists, strategic partners, product managers and subject domain experts you will work on building adaptive solutions powered by big data. You will work on a best-in-class cloud computing platform, with cutting edge big data tools at your disposal while having access to experts in education, learning design, engineering and data science.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Design, code, unit test, and deploy multi-tenant, highly available software components using a variety of open-source technologies
- Design and Develop scalable data processing pipelines for analytical and predictive platform services
- Work closely with other engineers to build, test, deploy and troubleshoot machine learning / algorithm based software
- Actively participates in architecture and design meetings
- Collaborate with other engineers and data scientists to find effective solutions to technical challenges
- Enjoy a healthy technical debate but know how to collaboratively solve problems that move everyone forward
- Communicate well in person, over email, and via instant messenger within the team and with other development teams to improve quality, advance standards, and handle issues.
- Work efficiently and collaboratively in an Agile (Scrum or Kanban) team environment
- Directly and meaningfully impact the experience of students, institutions, and professors
- Improve and maintain internal monitoring, instrumentation, and overall visibility of our learning systems.
- Be self-directed and be able to prioritize your own workload.
- Be willing to learn new skills whether they are directly tied to software development, software testing, data science, analytics, server maintenance, or web application release and delivery.
- The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, self-directed, self-motivated, with a strong capacity for working successfully and flexibly with members across the organization.
- BSc or higher in computer science, statistics, mathematics, physical science, engineering, or a comparable related technical field
- 5+ years of core Java development experience
- Experience and practice with Java Unit testing frameworks
- REST API design experience (with JSON preferred)
- Experience with Unix / Linux based systems
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in OO design and architecture, basic data structure, JVM concurrency, thread-safe design, scaling out of service platforms
- Easy to work with, stays confident and optimistic in the face of challenges
- Good communications skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of internal and external development groups
- Ability to access, manage, transfer, integrate and analyze complex datasets, especially using Spark or other map-reduce techniques
- Good understanding of foundational statistics concepts and algorithms: linear/logistic regression, random forest, boosting, NNs, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL design and / or development a plus
- Experience and interest working in cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- Familiarity with libraries such as Spark ML, Tensor flow, scikit-learn, MLib, DLib, Pandas or others like H2O, Databricks
- Familiarity in Python or R
- Experience with Maven, Debian, Jenkins, and automated deployments