Why Work at Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
The Protocols Engineering organization is seeking a Senior-level Software Design Engineer
to join their team.
As a Senior SDE, you will be responsible for efforts within a development team to deliver product features from initial requirements to completion in Isilon’s OneFS product releases. Your experience in security and data access network protocols, open source, UNIX system level design and implementation, and distributed systems will help us create industry leading products for the Isilon Storage product within Dell EMC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and build solutions to complex technical problems on Isilon OneFS that deal with high scale, concurrency, and performance to enhance our customer’s ability to access and manage multiple petabytes of data.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills across one or more teams to create a detailed design, and provide a high-quality implementation.
- Contribute to the culture of quality throughout our broader engineering organization.
- Share experiences and skills to aid team members in enhancing their professional skills and career.
- Possess an aptitude exploring new technologies and understanding how to apply them to new product releases and in customer facing support scenarios.
What is Protocols Engineering?
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, and 4+ years industry experience with network or storage protocols, UNIX/Linux systems software development, or related field.
- Development of system software written in C or C++. Additional experience with Python is preferred.
- Knowledge of object oriented design patterns.
- An understanding of the UNIX operating environment such as system configuration, memory management, system calls, multiplexed I/O, and concurrency models.
- Knowledge of distributed software systems
- Experience in one or more unit test frameworks.
- Candidates may also possess any of these highly-desired skills:
- Experience with network file systems such as SMB or NFS interfaces in shippable software/services.
- Knowledge of directory service protocols such as LDAP or NIS, and authentication protocols such as GSS-API, NTLMSSP, or Kerberos.
Our teams build the network interfaces our customers use to reach their data. We are delivering future capabilities for new workloads such as Hadoop as well as scaling existing NAS workloads to huge levels and with non-disruptive operations to keep businesses running 24x7x365. Our identity management technologies ensure that we can work in almost any environment and provide our customers with seamless integration to both directory services and storage protocols. What is happening in Protocols Engineering?
Our customers have grown to expect success from Isilon, and now they want more – more scale, more storage, more uptime, more performance, more workloads – all to enable their business.
How do you build the Data Lake of tomorrow? How to you integrate file and big data access without compromising the fidelity of the client protocols and APIs? How do you actively balance new and existing client requests across an entire cluster to provide the highest level of service? How do you build a single pool of storage that can meet all of the storage needs of a business? These are the questions we answer daily, and to provide the solutions as quickly as possible, we are pursuing new ways accelerate the rate at which we can deliver value to our customers.
If software is eating the world, applications are ruling the world. Our solutions integrate the OneFS infrastructure with the application ecosystems built on top of it. How do we do our work?
We create a pipeline of work based on input from our customers, internal engineering needs, our product managers, and our strategic bets. Our organization is “multi-threaded” in how we manage our engineering capacity and the throughput at which we deliver. We aim to run a
lean organization to build the right things the right way at the right time. What technologies do we use and build?
We strive to use the best tool for the job at hand. We build our core infrastructure and network code in a combination of C and C++ with control functions leveraging the flexibility and rapid development provided by Python. We use git as our source control system and leverage GitHub Enterprise based workflows for building and testing our code in a continuous integration model. Creating internal clusters for testing and development is smooth and easy using on our automated builds and virtual deployments. What kind of developer enjoys working in Protocols Engineering the most?
Our best engineers demonstrate curiosity and intellectual flexibility as they approach new problems. Our engineering teams work in highly collaborative manners. We esteem developers that can help us ship product, are eager to learn and are willing to share that new knowledge with peers. We listen to our customers and help them solve the problems that are ahead. About Isilon
Isilon Systems, a division of Dell EMC, is the leader in scale-out storage systems. Our clustered storage and data management solutions drive unique business and economic value for customers by maximizing the performance of their mission-critical applications, workflows, and processes. Isilon enables enterprises and research organizations worldwide to manage massive and rapidly growing amounts of file-based data in a highly-scalable, easy-to-manage, and cost-effective way. We’re in the business of transforming the way data is stored. At the forefront of the big data movement, our highly parallelized, distributed architecture has completely redefined the storage model.
"LIPriority" Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.