Are you a bold thinker? We dream big at Sierra Nevada Corporation-advocating the exploration of space, keeping service members safe and creating the systems that keep our SNC is seeking talented teammates to join the Advanced Development (AD) Team in developing innovative solutions and to produce state of the art space systems for lunar and deep space exploration. As part of the AD team, individuals will help advance an existing portfolio of programs that provide sustainment for human spaceflight with space habitats and lunar landing systems and delivering commercial payloads to the lunar surface. SNC provides high performing innovative systems that change how we reach, explore and utilize space.
The Senior Systems Engineer reports to the Systems Engineering Lead on the program he/she is supporting and works in concert with the cognizant technical lead engineers in execution of the program. The Senior Systems Engineer is the System Architect which focuses on the Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) and is responsible for the design, development, and production of the specific spacecraft subsystem. The Senior Systems Engineer will oversee all Systems Engineering and Integration efforts to include development of the system architecture, Concept of Operation, decomposition of requirements, generation and allocation of specifications, control documents, plans and reports in support of the development. The Senior Systems Engineer supports programs from the early phases of program capture through the entire lifecycle of the program. The Senior Systems Engineer should have intimate knowledge of the product technology and a good working knowledge of the associated engineering disciplines.
At SNC's Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSGPRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
The system engineer will be:
- Problem Solver
- Create solutions for ECLSS designs, complex problems, and integrate disparate systems and concepts
- Research and analyze alternative technologies; Lead trade studies
- Author technical and engineering memos to document decisions and solutions as required
- Technical Lead
- Lead the program efforts to interpret customer requirements and decompose them into hardware, software and system requirements and specifications
- Originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities
- Define interfaces and develop Interface Control Documents (ICD)
- Create architecture diagrams
- Develop test plans, test cases, and test procedures including execution scripts
- Coordinate and execute various test events such as development, risk reduction, requirement verification and other system functional/performance testing utilizing Software-in-the-Loop and Hardware-in-the-Loop test platform configurations, as well as flight hardware/software configurations
- Lead Technical Exchange Meetings (TEMs) and other formal and informal engineering discussions with teammates, customers, and external stakeholders
- Brief customers and internal leadership on technical progress, risks, and alternative courses of action
- Prepare material for, and conduct periodic design reviews or major technical reviews, including design and test/launch readiness reviews
- Team Leader:
- Oversee and manage development of subset of team.
- Supporting the creation of, and adherence to, process controls, configuration management requirements, and peer review processes to ensure accuracy and completeness of technical products
- Represent System Engineering team at programmatic reviews.
- Provide inputs to team status, including schedule, budget and earned value.
- Metrics definition, tracking and status reporting for the position's areas of responsibility
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Refining and updating appropriate sections of the program's integrated master schedule
- Conducting and providing inputs to personnel performance evaluations
DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute engineering design and development activities consistent with Customer quality, cost and schedule requirements
- Ensure that all specifications, designs and developments adhere to SNC standards and customer requirements
- Provide support in the development and maintaining of configuration baselines for systems and sub-systems
- Support the engineering team on defining system architecture and requirements during proposal efforts
- Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all technical activities
- Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Delegation of Authority requirements
- Review Delegation of Authority thresholds as applicable to job position stated in the DOA Responsibilities Matrix
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations, Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.
- Requires a BS in Related Field
- 10+ years of related experience
- Excellent communication skills required in both verbal and written
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Previous experience and skills in project definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment with emphasizes in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- Strong propensity for System-level thinking. An ability to understand wide-reaching impacts of decisions across the system.
- Ability to decompose large complicated problems into manageable pieces, understand problems from different points of view, and explain issues/solutions to other engineers and management.
- Domain expertise: Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS)
- Tools expertise: DOORS, Rhapsody, DXL, JIRA, Excel VBA
- Experience in spacecraft testing
- Experience working on complex systems
- Experience working NASA programs
- ITAR/EAR: To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant ====, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America's fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.