The PCAOB is a nonprofit corporation established by Congress to oversee the audits of public companies in order to protect the interests of investors and further the public interest in the preparation of informative, accurate and independent audit reports. The PCAOB also oversees the audits of broker-dealers, including compliance reports filed pursuant to federal securities laws, to promote investor protection.
The PCAOB has a full-time, regular position for a Sr. System Engineer in the Office of Information Technology at its Ashburn, VA office reporting to the Senior Manager, Infrastructure. As the Sr. Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering, implementing and monitoring security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information. The position will interface with Security and Application teams to support security, network and systems related tasks and projects. You will utilize your exceptional communication skills to interact with both technical and non-technical colleagues, and to provide technical leadership for your colleagues and the organization.
- Operations activities include successfully maintaining and securing network appliances, client and server OS hardening against exploitation and privilege escalation, while ensuring the stability, integrity and efficient operation of the environment.
- Resolution of escalated services issues relating, but not limited to, core infrastructure services such as Microsoft LYNC, Exchange, vSphere, VDI and other internal services.
- Provide support off hours in addition to regular work days to troubleshoot escalated issues and apply production changes where needed.
- Interface with internal customers, vendors, managers, and other technical staff to analyze business and technical requirements, with a focus on recommending and delivering cost effective, technically sound solutions;
- Assist with all functions relating to the planning, architecture, design, installation configuration and operation of technology infrastructure.
- Produce/promote solutions consistent with PCAOB standards emphasizing long-term success over short-term benefit
- Develop and implement technical solutions to help mitigate security vulnerabilities, automating repeatable tasks.
- Design and participate in Incident Response tactics and procedures.
- Assist with the creation of security controls for operating systems and protocols for Infrastructure device(s), along with the associated documentation, diagrams and procedures.
- Manage and improve patch management activities for security and non-security related updates, relating but not limited to OS and applications.
- Regularly assess, identify, and resolve inefficiencies or deficiencies in processes or technology within the PCAOB environment.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior members and other members of IT with regards to the above when appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or similar field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of information systems experience with a focus on security, network, application and architecture.
- IT support skills - familiar with multiple facets of the Systems world; Windows/Linux OS, PKI, Active Directory, storage, basic networking (ideally Cisco), backup solutions, monitoring (ideally SCOM or Solarwinds), Microsoft Office suite and email encryption / archive.
- Experience maintaining schedules, resource allocation, and task prioritization of information technology engineering projects and operations.
- Strong familiarity with virtualized environments whether hypervisor based or container based and in particular knowledge of the system and security issues that are specific to them.
- In-depth knowledge of mapping business requirements to technology and ability to identify security gaps at the architecture level.
- Proven ability to clearly document and communicate security findings, risk description, risk level, and recommended solutions to stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks/projects.
- Proficient with change, incident and configuration management disciplines.
Desired technology expertise
- VMware vSphere and NSX
- Windows server and client OS
- Altiris Server Management Suite (SMS)
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) or Solarwinds
- Cisco switches & routers, specifically Nexus product line
- Cisco ISE
The PCAOB encourages a spirit of cooperation and teamwork, and fosters an environment of professional growth where employees can exercise their leadership ability, creativity, technical competence, and public interest focus in helping the PCAOB fulfill its mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All PCAOB employees are entitled to equal opportunity and a professional work environment, free of discrimination and harassment. A workplace free of discrimination is fundamental to professional success and to the PCAOB's mission. The PCAOB will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.