The systems engineer will provide the highest level of performance and availability for the systems, cloud, networks, storage and applications that they build and support. This level of excellence is necessary to ensure that the time and business-critical demands are supported with world-class technology and systems management.
- Design, build and operate scalable systems
- Monitor, measure, and tune systems for optimal performance and 24/7 reliability
- Investigate, analyze, resolve and document hardware and software problems on a wide range of systems in several data centers
- Investigate, analyze, resolve and document software and configuration issues with a variety of public cloud hosted environments
- Create and maintain operational documentation pertaining to deployment, management and administrative duties
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned, including work off-hours on occasion to maximize production uptime.
Knowledge, Experience & Expertise
- Systems hardware (e.g. blade servers, load balancers, SAN, NAS, and tape libraries).
- Operating system administration (e.g. Unix, Linux, OSX, and Windows).
- High performance data storage solutions whether SAN, NAS, or Clustered (e.g. Isilon)
- Large-scale backup solutions and tape technologies (e.g. Quantum, NetBackup)
- Data center, network, and application architectures
- Server architectures (e.g. multi-core, distributed)
- Local and Networked File Systems (e.g. NFS, CIFS, AFP, DFS, NTFS, Hadoop)
- File Transport Solutions (e.g. Signiant, Aspera, SFTP)
- Application and Web Services
- Systems Toolsets and protocols (e.g. SNMP, Nagios, tcpdump)
- Configuration Management (e.g. Puppet/Chef)
- Virtual Environment technologies (e.g. VMWare, OpenStack, CloudStack)
- Digital Production environments
- Systems Security (e.g. password domains, patch, monitoring)
- Scripting, including PHP, Perl , Python and Ruby (optional)
- Automation technologies in Systems
Desired practical experience:
- Operating system installation and management
- Strong project management and resource planning experience
- IP networking including performance based troubleshooting
- Installation of large server systems
- Recover large file system in production environment
- Routed network installation and management
- File transport experience