Wayne County Department of Information Technology Position Description
Software and Integration Engineer Position
Classification: Software and Integration Engineer
Summary: This position is part of the Enterprise Applications - Technology Integrations group that focuses on creating and implementing innovative technology solutions that streamline County business, thereby ensuring operational stability and business continuity. In this position you will work on unusually complex technical problems and provide solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
The ideal candidate for this position is a high energy and skilled professional that is quick to pick up new tool or technical concepts. This position requires solid systems development and change control management experience, understand and follow the software development life cycle and deployment standards a conceptual understanding of database administration along with IT infrastructure knowledge related to network, servers and performance monitoring tools.
• Enhance system applications (develop, configure) features and functions that support business requirements.
• Design new software/configurations by studying business functions, gathering information, evaluating output requirements and formats.
• Improve systems by studying current practices and designing modifications • Design, code, debug applications in various software languages (ASP.NET, VB.NET, VB etc)
• Perform software analysis, code analysis,. Requirements analysis, software review, identification of code matrix, system risk analysis, and software reliability analysis.
• Perform software testing and quality assurance.
• Maintain and enhance existing client-server and web based custom applications developed.
• Builds and leverages effective alliances across teams/partners, business customers and vendors to lead and/or coordinate maintenance, upgrades and environmental changes.
• Assist the configurations/developers through designing, configuring/development, testing, deploying, maintaining, and supporting client initiatives.
• Participate in technical planning and architectural excercises.
• Effective communication in terms that customers and technical partners can understand and influence direction and change.
• Analyzes problems with software applications to identify problem area(s), recommend and implement corrective action.
• Management of change required to support product enhancement and growth
• Creation and maintenance of documentation on system configurations, databases, define methods of working and daily operational procedures
• Consult with application development, networks, security, storage and database teams for resolving respective issues • Participate in the resolution of complex design and implementation issues across projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills with demonstrated experience documenting and working through issues as part of a team
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, able to communicate clearly and effectively
• Strong customer service focus and ability to manage customer expectations
• A self learner, self driven and able to operate with minimal supervision
• Independent problem solver with troubleshooting, decision-making and analytical skills
• A skilled practitioner of software engineering design best practices
• Desire to enhance existing technology through innovative and collaborative approaches to exceed customer expectations
• An experienced leader that demonstrates ownership on accountability
• Proactive in raising problems and identifying solutions
• Have the ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks with varying priorities and deadlines
• Knowledge of Windows operating systems on PC’s and servers
• Knowledge of relational database management systems concepts
• Ability to work and interact with others in a structured / team environment
• Knowledge of project management methodologies and software development lifecycles
• Knowledge of SQL Server, T-SQL, database modeling, and data migration.
• Knowledge of designing and working with n-tier architectures (UI, Business Logic Layer, Data Access Layer) along with experience with service oriented architectures (SOA)
• Knowledge of.NET programming skills (Microsoft .NET Framework) using or VB .NET and/or ASP .NET platforms.
• Knowledge of Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server
• Familiar with formal software development processes and methodologies such as Waterfall, Agile, SCRUM, and RUP.
• Familiarity with Cognos, Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting or WebFocus is plus
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar discipline from a recognized college or university or has related work experience.
• Microsoft Certified Professional Developer • 5+ years of hands on programming experience using Microsoft technology • 4+ years of experience working with SQL Server
• 3+ years of experience in web development preferably using ASP.NET
• 2+ years of experience in development using Angular framework.
Understanding: This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the incumbent will perform other business-related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other managers when necessary. Wayne County reserves the right to change duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
500 Griswold, 13th Floor Detroit, MI, 48226Contact