iDirect Government is dedicated to providing next generation solutions for broadband IP networking via satellite networks. As the leading innovators in this space, our diverse and talented team of Internet, satellite and telecommunications professionals continues to break new ground and create significant opportunities for network operators, for service providers and resellers, and for corporate networking professionals.
Systems engineers at iDirect Government are at the core of delivering innovative technology advancements that will push the boundaries of satellite communications in the defense market. They will draw on their vast experience, using multiple information sources to collaborate with diverse engineering teams to synthesize solutions that meet or exceed our customers' expectations. The systems engineering role, is to organize, drive, and validate multiple feature developments bringing together a complete sustainable solution.
This position requires working in close partnership with different development engineering teams. In addition, the System Engineer may work directly with multiple engineering teams, Architecture, Operations, Product Management, Program Management, and Sales Engineering.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Contributing to architectural vision and customer-driven objectives on adoption of next generation terrestrial, cellular, wireless, and satellite waveforms/propagation and their interactions, including for example DVB-S2X
- Performing systems engineering and architecture development using new and emerging technologies
- Facilitating collaboration with the platform team and other engineering functions on system design issues
- Maintaining a high level of awareness of competitive developments, technology trends, and of complimentary third party technologies
- Build, mentor and maintain a strong/collaborative team that interfaces properly through the iDirect Government organization.
- Communicate and enforce iDirect Government engineering process.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change.
- Working with development engineers to define internal and external software interfaces/protocols that perform the desired functionality, while ensuring optimal efficiency and robustness.
- Working with product line management and internally in the systems architecture group to refine and understand product requirements.
- Creation and maintenance of interface control documents and technical specifications.
- Acting as a subject matter expert to answer developer questions pertaining to interfaces.
- Partner with engineering team leaders (Program Management, Hardware, Software, Quality) to scope and manage overall Product Line architecture, development, risk management, change control, resource management and resource conflicts that impact delivery success.
- Maintain high level of awareness of complimentary 3rd party technologies.
- Experience with provider level networking systems (cellular, telecom, satellite, etc.)
- Networking protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, Ethernet, DHCP, VoIP, ARP, QinQ, etc.)
- Satellite Communication experience with DVB-S2, TDMA, SCPC a plus
- Ability to lead technical discussions for new features, drive consensus, and capture the results in writing in the form of designs, models, and requirements
- Experience in architecting or designing and testing systems/fixtures in a multi-disciplinary environment including developing and writing software for test and integration, e.g. C/C++/C#, LabView, Python, etc
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on technical matters
- Hands on testing and troubleshooting experience a plus.
- Hands-on experience with VSAT network products is a plus.
- 7+ years of related SW and/or HW development experience
Professional / Personal Qualities
- Must be able to analyze and solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated leadership and communications skills
- Must be able to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Must be able to communicate (oral/written) effectively.
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- The ability to learn quickly, evaluate ideas, and propose technical solutions
- Ability to write technical specifications reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Interpersonal Skills: The ability to actively pursue technical solutions by consensus between different technical groups. The ability to run productive meetings on technical topics is also required.
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Active DoD clearance or ability to obtain a DoD clearance
iDirect Government is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or protected veteran status.