The Senior UNIX/LINUX Engineering Lead performs high-level, day-to-day operational maintenance, support, and upgrades for complex operating systems and servers. Coordinates, directs and performs complex software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Continually monitors and tunes multiple systems to achieve optimum performance levels. Ensures server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities. Ensures data/media recoverability by developing and implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations. Plans and implements the modernization of servers. Develops, implements and promotes standard operating procedures and schedules. Conducts hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. Develops and implements new standards, policies and procedures. Works closely with Network and Systems Analysts to help determine and develop the systems that will be implemented.
The Senior UNIX/LINUX Engineer Lead:
Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Leads cross-functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems that may be across multiple systems and subsystems requiring in depth knowledge of the highly sophisticated Data Center environment and IT infrastructure
- Installs and secures new servers, and maintains the server infrastructure and all forms of systems that support the Data Center environment including cabling, power, space planning, cooling management and all other dimensions in a large, complex environment
- Documents standard operating procedures and recommend updates to optimize service delivery in alignment with ITIL best practices
- Documents and implements change requests; evaluate change requests for potential enterprise wide impacts
- Performs upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages
- Bachelors in an Information Technology and nine (9) years or more of related experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more of related experience.
- Experience in design, engineering, implementing and supporting UNIX (Solaris) and LINUX (Redhat) servers and enterprise application
- Experience in building, configuring and optimizing enterprise UNIX servers with associated virtualization and clustering technology.
- Implement, Configure, and Maintain Patch Servers
- Hands-on experience with Redhat Enterprise servers in a VMware cluster environment.
- Experience of Enterprise Storage (SAN/NAS) and Virtualization (VMware).
- Previous Supervisor experience of projects or project teams.
- Familiarity of blade compute platforms
- Familiarity of SAN/NAS storage technology
- Familiarity with Server automation technologies
- Familiarity of networking
- Knowledge of server virtualization technologies
- Proficient in analytical project planning, negotiating, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
My SAIC Benefits.