If interested in this opportunity - please contact Alex Prisinzano at
Candidates must be s and already hold a DoD Secret Clearance as a precondition of employment.
We have a long term contract
role for a Solaris/Unix Systems Administrator role for large-scale and high-visibility projects within a DoD data center. Key details are below, this role is within a fast-paced, enterprise level government project supporting cutting edge technologies. Initial objectives include a major migration from RHEL 5/6 to 7.
If interested in this, or any other opportunities in the DoD space, please send a resume and best contact information to Alex Prisinzano, Professional Recruiter, via
You can search all of our open jobs, and sign up to receive job alerts that match your criteria, via itcareers.apexsystemsinc.com. Key Aspects of This Role
- Project Details: Supporting a mixed & growing environment of Solaris, Unix, Linux, RedHat, CentOS and HP-UX Servers
- Salary Range: 80,000-120,000/year depending on experience
- Tech Stacks: RHEL 5/6/7, Solaris 10, Unix, CentOS, HP-UX, VMware
- Environment: Large, multifaceted data center
- Team: heavily silo'd teams that play to one another's strengths
- Additional Aspects: Strong growth potential (transition towards lead/architecure down the road), technical training (i.e. Pluralsight license), certification discounts (CompTIA and Cisco), potential remote work flexibility
- Key Requirements: 3+ years Unix Systems Administration, (5+ preferred) Solaris/RHEL
Why SW Virginia?
- We offer weekly pay, direct deposit, competitive pay rates
- Health/Medical benefits, Life Insurance, 401k, Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Discounts to most major certification programs, access to multiple technical training platforms and programs
- Beautiful scenery Blue Ridge Parkway(!)
- Low cost of living
- Access to many major cities on the east coast within a few hours ((2hr 20 min to Charlotte, 4hr to DC, 3hr to Richmond)
Unix Systems Administrator Responsibilities:
- CompTIA Security+ (can be obtained after offer!) or 8570 compliant
- Solaris, Linux+, or RedHat Certification preferred
- This position will work with the existing UNIX team to manage, maintain, deploy, troubleshoot and support servers for a mixed customer environment.
- Plan, execute and implement new system hardware and software and create and maintain team technical instructions, operating procedures and policies as needed.
- This position will need to be adept at monitoring and tuning system performance, ongoing operation of the servers, hardening of the servers and reporting of the overall security and operational status.
- The position will also recommend improvements to the enterprise and manage new software/hardware integrations when required.
- The position will need excellent communication and team skills.
- This position will provide support towards the lifecycle of a mixed environment of vendor equipment in the datacenter to include firmware version control and periodic preventive maintenance.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or