Senior Virtualization Engineer
Micro Focus is the 7th largest pure play Software Company in the world providing customers with a best-in-class portfolio of enterprise-grade scalable software with analytics built-in. Micro Focus puts customers at the center of its innovation and builds high quality products that customers can rely on and its teams can be proud of.
Micro Focus are focused in 4 specific solution areas:
- Hybrid IT
- Security and Risk Management
- Predictive Analytics
About the Role
The Senior Virtualization Engineer ensures a VMWare environment that is built to industry best standards and is highly available and performs at a 99.9% uptime level. The Engineer will plan, size, configure and deliver both VMWare host servers and the individual VM Servers residing on the hosts effectively and with little to no error.
The Senior Virtualization Engineer will
- Facilitate the assignment of requested storage for associated hosts/servers as indicated by the needs of the business.
- Plan, configure and manage ancillary infrastructure services such as backups, recoveries, data center alerts, etc. for the enterprise.
- Work closely with the Network and Storage teams to ensure smooth intradepartmental operations and communicate effectively to avoid unexpected outages/downtime.
- Assist with Security Patches; firmware upgrades; SAN switch changes and documentation of theses infrastructure modifications as required by the business.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation on activities performed and assist with developing diagrams, workflows and process maps.
- Develop a meaningful set of performance metrics that indicate the overall health of the VMWare environment, including # of hosts, number of VMs, current storage capacity, current % utilized/assigned, etc.
- Participate in all planning, design, and implementation meetings and work with other peers on the infrastructure team to successfully provide world class support to our Customers.
- Perform complex hardware replacement, cabling and remote troubleshooting of server issues.
- Participate in an on call rotation to resolve after hours problems.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 8-12 years experience, including at least 5 years with Virtualization Technology (VMware or LPAR or LDOMs)
- Significant hands on experience managing and supporting a large VMWare architecture /infrastructure including the use of all required monitoring and management tool sets.
Knowledge and Skills
- Large scale data center environment
- Experience in virtualization environment for performance tuning, capacity planning, and policy creation Experience in architect, design, build and maintain VMWare ESXi 4x/5x/6x cluster.HA & DRS configuration
- Experience with SAN & NFS storage Technologies
- Advanced knowledge on VMware HA Clusters, Vmotion, Shared Storage, vCenter Server, Converters, DRS, Backup, FC & ISCSI ; VMWare Certification will be considered an advantage
- Experience on other virtualization technologies like KVM, Microsoft Hyper-V,etc .
- Demonstrated working knowledge of attaching Storage (in the form of LUNs) to VMWare Servers. This core competency will require a significant working knowledge of how various brands and type of storage arrays function.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of all the Linux and Windows (2003, 2008, 2012) Server operating systems.
- Good understanding of ITIL processes.
- Strong communication skills
If you want to be part of what's next and find out more about our available opportunities, visit .