***Please note, this position is not eligible for H-1B or permanent residence sponsorship.
Consider a career with the University of Minnesota -- rated as a Star Tribute 2021 top workplace with previous awards from Forbes as one of America's best employers! Within the Office of Information Technology (OIT), we currently seek a Service Desk Consultant to join a support team that helps customers build positive relationships with technology to further progress the research, education, and outreach missions for the institution. As part of the team, you would use your unique talents to problem-solve and attend to customers’ concerns empathetically and with compassion and to support our diverse University community. This position will provide an opportunity to work with multiple groups within the service desk as well as customers across the University and will also contribute time to front-line support activities as time and workload allow.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Strong customer focus and commitment to resolving concerns.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities and an ability to make good and timely decisions.
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities with a close attention to detail.
- Passion for learning new technology.
- Flexible and effective communication and writing skills.
- Composure when operating in a busy environment and ability to effectively manage time.
- MN State Retirement System (MSRS) pension plan - tax deferred.
- 13 paid vacation days per year (starting accrual rate), in addition to 13 paid sick days and 11 paid holidays.
- Reduced tuition opportunities covering 75% - 100% of eligible tuition.
- Excellent and affordable health care benefits.
- Wellness program with opportunity to earn lower health care rates.
- Annual merit increase program.
- Using technical expertise, along with support tools (e.g.TeamDynamix, Knowledgebase, Chat, and System Status) to troubleshoot escalated end user technology issues including non-routine and/or complex problems. Provide support via phone, chat, email, face-to-face, and using remote tools as needed.
- Exercise strong decision making skills and appropriate discretion related to the severity and prioritization of incidents.
- Provide quality control by auditing incident and request records and measuring them against our support standards.
- Create, document, and implement new solutions for our knowledge base.
- Continually build knowledge of new products and service offerings to provide effective advice and guidance to users.
- Drive and perform a variety of special projects (examples include reporting, documentation, sharing of information, training of peers to maintain skill levels relative to current and emerging technologies, and delivery of orientations to new UMN students and staff).
*Please document qualifications on resume
- Bachelor’s degree OR a combination of related education and work experience to equal at least four years.
- Experience and proficiency with multiple operating systems.
- Strong customer focus and experience working in a customer facing role.
- Commitment to support the University’s goal of creating a positive and inclusive campus climate.
- Experience in producing end-user documentation and training guides.
- Experience and proficiency with various technologies.