Site Reliability Engineer
Reveal the "E" in SRE for the world fortune #1 retailer covering operational excellence for online site, stores, fulfillment centers, distribution centers and international business. Strategize and transform our client's SRE practice from reactive to preventive by providing self-service centralized tools for monitoring, alerting, configuration auditing, resiliency testing, playbook automation and tech debt discovery.
As a member of the SRE team, you will work with other DevOps practitioners to produce mission-critical infrastructure, tools, and processes that will ensure highest levels of availability and reliability of all our websites, systems, and services. As a senior member of the team, you will be expected to work with management, peers, and customers to define and implement the technical vision of the team.
You are right for the job if you are comfortable with deep technical Linux, networking topics, and distributed architectures. You will work cross-functionally amongst a variety of teams and be a core contributor in every significant engineering service or solution that we deliver to our stakeholders. You will excel if you have enthusiasm for digging deep, and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization, and organization. You will work directly with our Software Engineering teams to build our next generation "always up" and "highly available" cloud-based e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform.
Site Reliability Engineers are hybrid systems and software engineers who are responsible and take ownership for reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to uptime and availability of Client's e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform. The goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delights the customers. To do so, you will need to strong skills in following areas:
- Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, latency, availability, and scalability of the e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products.
- Engender reliability and availability starting with metrics and measurements.
- Enable scaling by providing tools, developing training and/or augmenting processes.
- Build tools/automate to prevent re-occurrence of problem to mission critical products/services.
- Augment existing instrumentation to build a cohesive picture of the characteristics of our systems with special attention to points of failure.
- Participate in capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Develop a deep understanding of the numerous services and applications that come together to deliver Walmart e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products.
- Design new tools to monitor and smart alerts that help discover failures/issues in a timely fashion and work with engineers to identify root cause and fix issues.
- Influence, design and create new architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale enterprise systems.
- Root-cause analysis complex problems involving multiple parties, networks, hardware, and software that relate to scaling and performance.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Secure the system from issues, be they real, perceived, or notional.
- High focus on collecting and inferring metric documentation to be used by others to build and maintain systems.
- Scripting and Development responsibilities
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Saltstack, Chef and Puppet
- Build and drive the automation systems that maintain system health
- Eliminate Single Point of failure and test disaster recovery and HA regularly.
- 6+ years in a software development, DevOps role, or SRE role.
- Experience in designing, investigating, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale enterprise systems.
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach, combined with a solid awareness of ownership, initiative, and drive.
- Fluency with running services at scale; In depth understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Networking knowledge and in depth understanding of network concepts, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way. Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment.
- Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Golang, Kotlin, Java, Python, Ruby, Shell
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- Experience with distributed version control like Git or similar
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS providers such as AWS, AZURE, OpenStack, GCP
- Experience with containerization and container platforms. (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Docker EE, OpenShift, Mesosphere).
- Experience with enterprise monitoring solutions like Dynatrace, AppDynamics, New Relic, Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Nagios, Sensu and Splunk
- Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment processes and tools such as Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, etc.,
location: Bentonville, Arkansas
job type: Contract
salary: $65 - 85 per hour
work hours: 8am to 4pm
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Drives standardization and service focused instrumentation. Provides subject matter expertise. Resolves break/fix scenarios, engaging broader teams as necessary; and partners/leads to achieve continuous improvement. Contributes to command-and-control related activities focused on restoration of complex outages, and rapid restoration. Participate on 24/7 on-call rotation. May work independently or as part of a team on more complex projects. Provides mentoring and guidance to more junior team members.
- Creates systems engineering and architectural develop software in several modern languages. Develops large/complex database-backed systems and understands DB schema and query performance. Utilizes professional best practices in day-to-day work like revision control, unit testing, or other. Applies statistical data analysis techniques.
- Networking responsibilities: Understanding and performing TCP dumps, snoop, and other network sniffers. Understands and applies knowledge of most protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP, etc.)
- Application Technologies: Provides recommendations and advice to the team and/or department in the areas of web services, OS, and storage, including being an active liaison to Development, QA, and the Business.
- Analyzes systems and makes recommendations to prevent potential problems. Takes lead on issue resolution activities using knowledge of complex and company-wide systems.
- Lead end-to-end audit of monitors and alarms based on subsystem knowledge.
- Utilizes time management and project management skills to lead the resolution of issues in a timely and organized manner, effectively communicating necessary information. May consult directly with developers or third-party vendors; provides subject matter expertise.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Education: Bachelors
- System Engineer
For certain assignments, Covid-19 vaccination and/or testing may be required by Randstad's client or applicable federal mandate, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations. Carefully review the job posting for details on vaccine/testing requirements or ask your Randstad representative for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.