JOB SUMMARY: Using Lean Six Sigma process improvement (PI) methodologies, Six Sigma Black Belts (SSBB's) are deployed throughout the organization to identify process defects and to implement improvement strategies. As a SSBB, the PI Portfolio Manager will manage PI projects directly through their entire lifecycle, and will also oversee and administer the PMO's portfolio of PI projects, interacting directly with executive leaders to assess and prioritize potential projects. This role performs continuous monitoring and reporting on portfolio status and KPIs, and ensures adherence to PMO best practices, processes, and toolsets for effective PI project execution. Mentors PMO staff and operational leaders on process improvement tools and methodology. Supervises or provides functional direction to assigned staff and/or department interns
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Uses independent judgment to plan and oversee the entire lifecycle of projects within assigned portfolio. Guides Six Sigmatrained PMO staff on data-based solutions development and managing PI projects from original concept through to operational transition/turnover. Ensures that realistic quality, change control and risk management processes are maintained for all PI projects within the portfolio; makes recommendations and provides updates to executive leaders on portfolio composition and overall status.
2. Independently leads/facilitates complex, high-visibility projects across multiple functions or business units utilizing standard PI methodologies to systematically drive and implement process improvements throughout the hospital.
3. Acts as change agent/coach to teach and instill PI culture throughout the organization. Provides practice and project leadership to assigned PMO resources and to project team members for directly managed PI projects, and takes appropriate action where team performance deviates from agreed parameters. Supervises and/or provides functional direction to assigned PMO staff and/or interns
4. Participates in the research and develops strategic analysis and initial proposal process for large scale projects of advanced complexity; projects are typically in support of strategic initiatives as directed by executive leadership.
5. Provides consultation to internal and external contacts by applying technical expertise and utilizing conflict/problem resolution as needed. Works with senior leadership in identifying appropriate success criteria for projects within the portfolio; monitors results, timescales and resources used, and takes action where these deviate from agreed-upon project or portfolio tolerances.
6. Acts as representative of the PMO when providing portfolio status to senior leadership and stakeholders. Creates and facilitates communications for project teams, sponsors, and system constituents for directly managed projects. Provides regular and accurate reports to executive management and stakeholders as appropriate.
7. Ensures adherence to project change control procedures, and guides assigned PMO staff to achieve PI project deliverables that are completed within planned timescale and approved by project leadership.
8. Work autonomously and effectively as a hybrid telecommuter, with the ability to work on campus as needed to support project and/or team member needs for the assigned portfolio. This position requires flexibility of hours.
Bachelor s degree required (in engineering, business, statistics, or science is preferred). Master's degree in related field strongly preferred
EXPERIENCE / TRAINING:
A minimum of four years' experience leading process improvement initiatives of varying levels of complexity from initiation to control plan execution within the acute care setting.
Experience working within a PMO is preferred, as is experience mentoring staff and operational leaders to further develop process improvement competencies organizationally.
Knowledge of health care regulations, accreditation, and licensing requirements preferred, as is knowledge and understanding of advanced statistics
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS:
Accredited Six Sigma Black Belt Certification required
Data querying certification preferred, as is PMP and/or Prosci Change Management certification
High Emotional Intelligence; strong interpersonal skills and ability to promote teamwork and mentor others
Exemplary communications skills (verbal and written); ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
Strong facilitation skills and demonstrated PI methodology experience (e.g., Kaizen and 5S events, organizing and leading meetings)
Demonstrated proficiency with Lean Six Sigma principles, practices, techniques and tools
Skilled at synthesizing and presenting complex information/concepts to senior management
Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions for senior management
Bias toward data-driven solutions development and root cause analysis for problem resolution; strong data literacy
Analysis Tools: MS Excel expertise required; familiarity with Tableau, Power BI, SQL query, Minitab preferred
Collaboration/Communication Tools: Visio, MS PowerPoint required; SharePoint, Smartsheet, MS Project preferred
Experience training, coaching and mentoring Green Belts preferre