Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Software Engineer to support the Universal Electro-Static Discharge (UESD) Project. You will work with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of software developers, engineers and software quality engineers ensuring laboratory developed and acquired software meet regulatory, contract and customer requirements. As part of a team, you will develop and implement processes for software configuration management (SCM) of nuclear safety software (830); including version control, release management, bug tracking, notifications, traceability, change management, etc. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the UESD Project Lead within the Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) program.
This position will be filled at the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Implement, acquire, and integrate complex configuration management tools to improve and automate the software development process, in collaboration with project software engineers.
- Provide solutions to complex problems and issues with Software Quality Engineering (SQE) configuration management tools.
- Develop and implement processes to manage and control changes to all aspects of the software tool chain; including code, test data, test results, documentation, etc.
- Use complex commercial and open source tools such as Confluence Knowledge Management, Jira, Bit Bucket, etc. and develop new tools, to provide process automation and automated record keeping.
- Develop and implement traceability across software artifacts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.4 level
- Lead the project team in the change control process as the primary technical contact and subject matter expert.
- Develop Software Quality Assurance (SQA) documentation, including Software Requirements Specification, Software Configuration Management Plan, Verification and Validation Plan, etc., in collaboration with the SQE Lead,
- Contribute to and participate in peer reviews, audits, assessments, and qualification approvals at the project, institution, and multisite levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Quality Assurance, Software Engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience in Software Quality Engineering and software development.
- Advanced knowledge of Software Quality Engineering (SQE) configuration management tools.
- Significant experience with implementing software configuration management processes using scripting languages, Open Source and Off the Shelf tools; .
- Advanced knowledge of software source code version control and software requirement traceability concepts
- Experience supporting scientific computing in a Unix or Windows environment.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
In Addition at the SES.4 level
- Expert verbal and written skills to effectively create, collaborate, and articulate SQA processes and documentation to stakeholders and/or external sponsors.
- Highly advanced technical understanding of SCM implementation strategies and technologies.
- Expert knowledge of software quality applications and quality standards that govern the control of software quality.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Quality Assurance, Software Engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Experience working with tools such as Atlassian, Opensource Hazard analysis tools
- Knowledge of scientific computing numerical algorithms
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2 .
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applyingcutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.