One Company...Many Careers! A Day In The Life Of A Software Developer - Big Data Development - req10304
We are seeking forward-thinking developers to join our small cross-functional product teams that are creating and/or modernizing solutions using the latest design patterns and technologies. A fast-paced and outcome-focused approach allows product teams the autonomy to own the work and deliver business and technical capabilities.
The work of a Software Developer - Big Data Development
can include the following:
- Uses knowledge of distributed computing techniques to design, develop and test scalable applications that operate on large volume datasets.
- Familiar with handling datasets containing mixes of structured and unstructured data.
- Transforms unstructured data into suitable forms for analysis and modeling.
- Performs extract, transform and load (ETL) integrations with variety of data sources.
- Utilizes technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, AWS, etc.
- Provides system software support for State Farm applications, components and testing software (testware).
- Writes ad-hoc scripts and queries, schedules batch jobs and develops real-time streaming applications and monitors.
- Utilizes agile software development practices, secure coding practices, code reviews, and software architecture.
Office Location Bloomington, IL
...where we work hard AND play hard!
About Bloomington, IL:
All positions will be located in Bloomington, IL. Bloomington is the location of State Farm's Corporate Headquarters and is 2 1/2 hours from Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis. Bloomington is a mid-size community; an average 15 minute rush hour commute is a welcome change for those who have fought rush hour traffic in the city. The community is very active and is home to multiple universities including Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University. We Are Looking for Candidates With
- Experience using Big Data based applications/tooling/languages such as Hadoop, Spark, Flume, Kafka, Pig, Hive, HBase, Impala and AWS.
- Experience with other technologies such as Java, Python, and/or Scala is desired.
- Ability to quickly adapt to a changing and fast-paced agile development environment.
- A proven willingness to learn and use new technologies.
- Experience with API web services development is desired, but not required.
In addition to the core Big Data Developer languages listed above. Preference is given to the following (listed in alphabetical order):
What You Can Expect
What's In It For You
- Next Steps: Competitive candidates may be invited to participate in the interview process. This is where the excitement begins!
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work authorization (e.g. H-1B visa) for this opportunity.
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! We're here to help life go right® Come join our passionate team!
- Competitive Benefits, Pay and Bonus Potential: Who doesn't want money, right?
- Volunteer opportunities: Get involved and give back to the community!
- Tuition Reimbursement: We support opportunities for you to learn and grow!
- A Learning Culture: Mentoring, Professional Designations, Employee Development, and more!
- 401k Plan and FULLY FUNDED PENSION: Yes, both. This is kind of a BIG deal!
- Dress Code: We trust our employees to dress for their day. That's right, we trust you...
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion: We are one team and it is simply the right thing to do!
- Learn more about our benefits at State Farm Careers!
_____________________________________________________________ Employment Type:
Regular Full-Time Shift: