The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Software Development Engineer at Amazon, you will own critical UI frameworks and apps that make it possible to develop UI applications for Amazon devices. You will create common software components to help Amazon build our smart home devices by working on projects that push the boundaries of customer-device interaction including product lines such as Echo and Fire TV. You will be challenged to create rich customer applications, while also optimizing for performance.
You will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative customer experiences. You will create new solutions in a responsive, flexible and collaborative peer environment. You will participate in designing, prototyping, and building solutions to hard problems in the Amazon ecosystem for our exciting future in consumer devices.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will:
- Influence strategy and roadmap through your technical and non-technical insights
- Work with a team of world-class engineers and product managers to understand and refine the scope of incoming projects, and to ensure deliverables meet an unreasonably high quality bar
- Build reliable, high-performance SDKs for a variety of Amazon Devices, such as Amazon Echo and FireTV
- Actively experiment and prototype with novel technologies that improve the customer experience or solve business needs
- Mentor junior team members in career growth and assist in task management and Agile planning
- Work with multiple top-notch internal and external engineering teams to understand and respond to their needs
- Organize and participate in collaborative Q&A sessions, workshops, presentations to share your technical know-how with the rest of the team
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in Computer Science fundamentals - object oriented design, data structures, algorithms, design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- 3+ years of experience in Java or C++
- 3+ years of experience in Linux
- Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience building complex applications on distributed systems that have been successfully deployed for a large customer base.
- Experience with Agile Scrum, having served as a Scrum Master and delivered results.
- Application of advanced coding techniques, such as dependency injection
- Proven experience with: writing design documents, leading code reviews, applying SCM, managing builds and managing releases
- Knowledge of important design patterns
- Applying unit testing / TDD to reduce testing cycles and production support load
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, write technical designs, and discuss product strategy
- Experience mentoring and training the engineers on complex technical issues
- Experience in working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability//
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.