Ring is looking for a Software Development Engineer to help design and build device management services that support core features for millions of Ring devices. These services are used by other applications such as the Ring Mobile App and enable our customers to manage and customize various device settings based upon their preferences. Examples of device settings managed by our services include volume levels, motion detection sensitivity, video recording length, and shared user access. You will get to work closely with software, firmware, and product teams across Ring and Amazon, and actively participate in defining and implementing new device setting models. This is a great opportunity to build highly secure, scalable, and fault-tolerant distributed systems using AWS technologies while influencing the development of novel products and features for Ring customers.
Key job responsibilities
- Design, develop, and deliver software solutions that scale to support millions of Ring devices.
- Implement extensible and maintainable code with clear documentation.
- Provide code review and design feedback to team members.
- Set high standards within the team by demonstrating engineering best practices in software design, operational excellence, security, and test automation.
- Review business requirements, discuss trade-offs, provide task estimates, and implement technical solutions that provide value to Ring and its customers.
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders to resolve ambiguity and deliver results.
- Participate in interviews and train new team members to understand team services and processes.
About the team
We are a growing team that manages the platform for Ring device-related data. Our goal is to meet the high data availability and security requirements expected by Ring customers to operate their devices without issue.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 3+ years of experience working on production systems.
- 3+ years of experience working with OO design/development principles.
- 3+ years of experience working with RESTful architecture for web services.
- 3+ years of experience in a variety of modern programming languages (Java, Go, C/C++, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, Kafka, Elasticsearch).
- Experience working through the entire software development life cycle from reviewing requirements to delivering complete software solutions.
- Experience with continuous integration, automated unit testing and integration testing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to convey complex concepts in simple terms to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience identifying and using AWS technologies to solve design problems (CloudFormation, CloudWatch, DynamoDB, EC2, ECS, etc.)
- Experience with Docker and container-based application development.
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer, together for everyone. From the first-ever Video Doorbell, to the award-winning DIY Ring Alarm system, Ring's smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making security accessible and convenient for everyone-while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.