Welcome! You made it to the job description page!
At Zappos, we look for people who will show up as their whole self because we value diversity and inclusion, as well as people who enjoy fun and maybe even a little weirdness. So be sure to check on whether you're aligned with our company values and culture. If you think you can see yourself delivering WOW as a member of the Zappos family, then check out the job description below!Company Culture is at Our Core
Our 10 Core Values are more than just words, they're a way of life. We know that companies with a strong culture & a higher purpose perform better in the long run.
Do our values speak to you?
1. Deliver WOW Through Service
2. Embrace and Drive Change
3. Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
4. Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
5. Pursue Growth and Learning
6. Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
7. Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
8. Do More With Less
9. Be Passionate and Determined
10. Be HumbleWe Focus on Four C's
Commerce (the "E" kind in our case)
Zappos continues to transform and grow. Ensuring the four C's remain top of mind in everyone's day-to-day means delivering happiness and WOW in the long-term to customers, as well as employees, vendors, shareholders and the community, in a sustainable way.
It's also part of our core culture to offer shoppers more styles and variety, while reimagining ways to exceed expectations, protect and grow our company culture, and serve our communities near and far.Company Perks: Quick Reference
- A generous Zapponian discount program.
- A multitude of benefits and incentives to stay healthy and fit.
- Zappos pays 100% of every employee's medical, dental, and vision.
- Plenty of paid time off for life, vacations, staycations, and rest.
- Zappos pays for 100% of any 12 therapy, mental health, or coaching sessions each year.
- Meaningful assistance programs like professional development, mentoring, and 401k.
- Make an impact through volunteer adventures and other community programs
- Mandatory fun? Yes, please. Enjoy team building, family spirit and plenty of room to recharge.
Check out more company perks on our website. Zapponian [noun| employee of Zappos].
You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.Bold [adjective| not afraid of anything].
A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We're a company that isn't afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.Perks [noun| the good stuff you get for working hard].
Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don't forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.1990s [noun| a decade we love, but no longer live in].
Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue... whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you'd be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we'll watch it.Scout [noun| you're a recruiter, too].
As a Zapponian, we'll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
What are you currently doing? We're building a system that serves the best customers in the world - The Zappos Family of Companies customers. Our custom-tuned web platform serves thousands of page views per second, sells lots of great merchandise each day, and uses some of the most cutting-edge technology available. We need you to come help us make this great system even better.
We are looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. We have built most of our systems on open-source technology. We use Solr, Java, and Spring, to name a few.
As a Zappos Software Engineer, you will be developing a mix of new features for the site as well as investigating cutting-edge technologies to make the site better (either more robust, able to handle more transactions, or simply provide a better customer experience).What you'll be doing:
What you'll bring to the table:
- Help build complex, scalable fast systems and services using modern technology and methodologies
- Facilitate difficult conversations between disparate technical and business perspectives balancing short-term needs vs setting up the company for long-term success with an eye towards limiting the buildup of technical debt
- Capturing and analyzing data to improve system capabilities
- Helping to build fault-tolerant systems that can process billions of requests per day and have the ability to enhance processes within the system through analysis, tracking and automation.
What you didn't know about the team:
- 5+ years Java and Spring software development in a production environment
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Understanding of software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- A solid understanding of all software layers including UI, service, data store, and communication layers
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Experience in AWS services - Lambda, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, required
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, required
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis, required
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Made major contributions to the design/architecture of one or more projects
We are a well-rounded team that believes that great ideas can come from anywhere whether it be in a conference room or written on a napkin at the bar!
Zappos is committed to help foster an environment where we can celebrate and embrace our diversity and each person's individuality so that people can bring their whole selves to work. In order to ensure that we are considering the needs of all of our employees and building a more inclusive Zappos, we ask that you take a few minutes to update your details, even if you select "Prefer not to say" on some questions.The Fine Print
Please limit to 2 applications.
The Zappos Family of Companies is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at or call us at
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.