Kapsch TrafficCom is currently searching for a Software Engineer in our Austin, TX offices. Software engineers working on Dynamic Pricing take live data from sensors on a roadway and convert it to a demand-based toll rate. The system is database centric with a SOAP interface through middleware to an Oracle DB. The Dynamic Pricing Engine is written in Java. Data is inserted into a database, and the DPE queries sensor data from the DB, calculates traffic metrics, does incident detection, data validation, and traffic prediction. Calculated data is used as input to a closed loop control system be means of DMS signs along the road. Drivers react to the toll rates, effectively encouraging/discouraging use of the toll road in order to optimize travel times for both express lane and general-purpose drivers. Engineers use C# to interface with traffic simulations created in Transmodeler, until the road is built. Data sources vary from web-based services, to radar sensors, electromagnetic sensors, and laser scanners. Data acquisition is done through C++ or Java, depending on the source.Responsibilities Include:
What's in it for you?
- Strong math skills: The engine involves doing some math (mostly simple calculus) that isn't typically required in other Java developer roles.
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Additional beneficial skills:
- Experience with traffic simulation tools a plus
- Familiarity with the traffic management: (or something similar) is a plus (eg. Fluid dynamics is pretty similar in practice to how traffic flow works)
What we are looking for:
- Solving complex problems that improve daily the lives of people around the world
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies in a high-growth industry
- Career growth and stability
- Casual work environment with flexible work hours
- Full benefits package including paid time off, 401(k) and a no-cost medical insurance option for employee and eligible dependents
Our top Candidates will have:
- 2+ years of experience in some or all of the following: Java, SOAP/REST, C++, C#, databases, traffic simulation, traffic management, applied mathematics, software design patterns, machine learning, neural networks
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or related field
- Required language skills and computer literacy:
- Superior English writing and communication skills
- Working knowledge of Java required
- SOAP/REST interface experience
- Additional beneficial language skills and computer literacy:
- Familiarity with machine learning/neural networks HUGE plus
- C++, C#, and DB experience a plus
- This position requires up to 10% travel networks
- Experience working with traffic simulations created in Transmodler.
- Advance skills in Java Programming Language.
#DiceKapsch TrafficCom is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex. Kapsch TrafficCom is a drug-free workplace.