The mission of the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) is to educate, train, and inspire men and women to become leaders of character, motivated to lead the United States Air and Space Forces in service to our nation.
The Department of Military and Strategic Studies (MSS) prepares USAFA cadets to operate and lead in the application of military power across the spectrum of conflict. This program explores the uniquely demanding context of the warrior profession—morality and the human face of war, the future of the Air and Space Force professions, comparative air forces, hybrid threats, societal and technical innovation, operational concepts, intelligence, and military strategies for joint, coalition, and interagency operations across diverse cultures.
The Multi-Domain Lab (MDL) is one of the key educational resources used in the MSS program, and provides wargaming venue to explore a variety of academic research scenarios. Early academic tools consisted of digital board games. Efforts are currently underway to develop a new multi-domain (i.e. air, sea, land, space, cyber, etc.) battlespace management facility utilizing Live, Virtual, Constructive (LVC) simulation. This new facility will include integration of manned flight and Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) simulators; Command and Control (C2), Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), and Electronic Warfare (EW) workstations, and Air Operations Center (AOC) workstations manned by cadet teams. The Multi-Domain Lab Engineer will play a key role by supporting software design and development for this new capability.
Aleut Aerospace Engineering (AAE) is a certified 8(a) Alaska Native Corporation that manages the Advisory and Assistance Services Contract at USAFA to provide professional technical support to a wide variety of activities. Aleut’s mission mirrors that of USAFA, with an integrity-centric team focused on delivery of exceptional solutions, service, and value.
AAE is currently recruiting for an engineer to support development and operation of the USAFA Multi-Domain Lab.
Position responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
· Work closely with the MDL Director and Operations Manager, MSS Curriculum personnel, and Course Directors to design, test, and iterate wargame scenarios across various electronic media using PLEXSYS ASCOT 5 software and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) capable programs
· Design and develop scenarios from scratch to create well-designed, fully-functional, and documented wargames using a variety of programming languages e.g. modern military DIS software(s)
· Provide technical support to cadets and instructors
· Evaluate and report on the effects of introducing new software into the proven operational environment
· Advise, assist and make recommendations regarding new tools, software, alternative gaming platforms, and data integration methods to improve the gaming scenarios
· Maintain the MDL hardware, software, and facilities in excellent working order, ensuring readiness to support course instruction and associated laboratory exercises
· Make purchase recommendations to the MDL Operations Manager based on inventory consumption
· Provide tours and brief distinguished visitors
· No travel is currently anticipated
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English
· Proven ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment with academics, technical experts, subject matter experts
· Familiarity with operating and maintaining a server based DIS simulation network utilizing virtual machines and thin clients
· Familiarity with contemporary military strategy, operations, and tactics, and demonstrated high levels of knowledge in joint military and multi-domain environments is important to craft realistic scenarios
· Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Education and Experience
· 3+ years of demonstrated experience using Microsoft operating systems and programs to include: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Windows 7/10, and MS Server 2012 R2
· 2 years’ experience implementing research scenario designs (VBS3 and/or ASCOT 5) with regard to military-specific modeling and simulation platforms is strongly preferred
· 1-2 years’ experience in collecting scenario implementation for data analysis
· Knowledge of Azure DevOps – mainly Azure Pipelines for continuous builds and App Services
· Experience with PLEXSYS ASCOT 5 battlespace modeling and simulation software is highly desired
· Operational Air Operations Control (AOC) experience is highly desired
· Experience utilizing and programming Live-Virtual-Constructive (LVC) simulation and Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools is preferred
· Experience with code libraries is preferred
· Preferred experience working with React.js, Redux.js, and Node.js
· Experience utilizing unclassified adjudication databases such as JANES and JWAM is also preferred
United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, United States
Please note that AAE and USAFA both mandate a drug-free workplace that strictly adheres to federal drug laws. Consequently, any use of medical or recreational marijuana is strictly prohibited.
This position provides a range of healthcare and retirement savings benefits.
Salary for this position is estimated at between $92K and $105K, based on individual skills and experience.
AAE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AAE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. AAE expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AAE employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.