Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
This Lead Data Warehouse Developer will be a valued contributor designing, developing, and releasing new and innovative analytical capabilities in an agile team as part of Analytical Value Stream. This position will be a strong technical contributor. He/She will work with many different tools, technologies and platforms. This role will be looked upon as a Technical Leader within the team. This person will support and enhance an existing Discovery and Self-service environment in SQL Server. He/She will perform all development activities within the defined consumption patterns adhering to Travelers architecture guidelines. In collaboration with our enterprise technology organizations, our analytical initiatives will employ advanced technologies and methodologies to deliver critical business functionality incrementally. Planning and performing Proof of concept and innovation sprints leveraging advanced technologies and assessing viability to the existing business processes are also part of this role. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with business partners, business analysts and software architects to create and operationalize common data products and consumption layers.
- Participate in all Agile ceremonies such as stand-ups, release planning, retrospectives, and customer demos
- Practice test driven development, refactoring, and continuous integration
- Continuously engage with, bring awareness to agile teams within the value stream on established consumption patterns
- Conduct governance meetings and ensure different agile teams follow applicable migration checklist for Discovery/Self-service environment
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques and best practices
- Convert concepts and ideas into workable prototypes for business review, design validation, usability testing and eventual production migration
- Evaluate alternative solutions and assess risk
- Performs special projects and other duties as applicable
- Act as subject matter expert on multiple applications
- Acquire and build upon the required data mastery and system knowledge
- Work effectively with infrastructure teams to support the environment and its migration to cloud platforms.
- Design and develop data flows in support of analytics and reporting
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges
- Evaluate ways to enable large and complex data sets for analytical/reporting purposes
- Spearhead data flow migration efforts such as mapping source to target, naming conventions, modeling etc.
- Review and optimize query performance
- Provide production support and enhance existing data assets and ETL/ELT processes
- Identify root causes and resolve data related issues
- Maintain data access controls within the environment via AD Groups and other applicable means
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Two years of programming/development experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Four years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience with SQL Server & ETL
- Experience as a Team Lead / Mentor
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Expert level handling of data housed in SQL Server environment
- Expert level experience in developing ETL/ELT applications
- Expert level code management and deployment
- Moderate level data knowledge and analysis, inclined to learn "Quickly"
- Experience with one or more data platforms such as Teradata, Hadoop, Oracle, DB2, MongoDB
- Experience with one or more data and reporting tools such as Ab-Initio, Talend, Informatica, SSIS, SSRS, Qlik, Power BI
- Experience with one or more of Python, PySpark, Java, Databricks, Node.JS, React JS, Restful APIs a HUGE plus
- Exposure to overarching micro service and streaming concepts a plus
- Exposure to Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS/AZURE, Snowflake, MySQL, Aurora) a plus
- Strong collaboration and relationship building skills
- Able to communicate with clarity and precision
- Able to present in group setting
- Hands-on with demonstrated sense of urgency
- Displays positive, constructive and helpful demeanor to assist/mentor team members
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Occasional night & weekend hours
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.