Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
Do you have experience in Data and Analytics including ETL tools such as TALEND? Are you seeking a dynamic, diverse and growth oriented environment in technology? Is passion for problem solving in your DNA? Are you seeking a company that offers comprehensive benefits including a pension and a matching 401K? Imagine the possibilities at Travelers!
Travelers is seeking a Software Engineer II to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape.
Our Reinsurance Technology group is seeking an Talend Developer who performs expert programming, configuring, and/or analysis. You would participate in the design/development process. This role acts as subject matter expert for assigned applications, systems, and technologies and leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical/high impact problems, defects and incidents. You would provide technical guidance to team members.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for system programming and analysis tasks of advanced complexity within multiple systems.
- Acts as subject matter expert for assigned applications, systems or technologies. Responsible for transforming business specifications/ Reverse Engineering documents and requirements into organized technical activities.
- Responsibilities include performing complex analysis, assessment, resolution, design, configuration and programming functions at an expert level.
- Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical/ high impact defects, problems, and incidents. Collaborates with project team and other key stakeholders to identify, estimate, and prioritize project and/or enhancement activities.
- Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise.
- Provides team direction, mentorship, and feedback to technical resources.
- Ensures work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols. Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Two years of programming/development experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Six years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience with TALEND.
- Experience with other ETL tools such as Ab Initio or Cobol is preferred.
- Experience with AWS is preferred.
- Experience in an agile environment is preferred.
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to estimate accurate timelines for tasks and deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, contribute to the software design strategy and methodologies used to best meet the system requirements, consider and build for many different use cases, avoid over engineering, and ensure automation, deliver complete solutions but release them in small batches, and identify important tradeoffs and negotiate them.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including understanding technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively and aware of industry trends, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and priorities, and possess in depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on and some knowledge of adjacent systems.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who ensures solutions are built for the long term, is able to resolve new issues, recognizes mistakes using them as learning and teaching opportunities and consistently breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to articulate information clearly and concisely with the business, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members as both a mentor and mentee, take in vague requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, offer feedback appropriately and effectively, seek out and receives constructive criticism well, listen when others are speaking and make space for colleagues to share their thoughts.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with the ability to help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.