Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
Travelers is seeking a Software Engineer II to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Under limited supervision, performs expert programing, configuring, and/or analysis for impactful and visible projects. Manages the effective use of line of business resources for implementation of ongoing projects, enhancements, initiatives and/or problem resolution. Acts as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies, leveraging technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives. Participates in the design/ development process. Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems and incidents. This job is a technical lead. This job does not lead others. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the strategic plans and tactical activities for assigned information systems and business unit systems projects.
- Acts as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies leveraging technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives.
- Responsibilities include performing complex analysis, expert level design, configuration and programming functions for impactful and visible projects.
- Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems, defects, and incidents.
- Assesses the technical viability of projects and objectives.
- Acts as a technology advocate and independently seeks opportunities where technology can be utilized to improve the business.
- Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise ensuring the best use of resources.
- Provides technical leadership, fosters a team environment, and provides mentorship and feedback to technical resources.
- Ensures project team's work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, and five years of programming/development experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- 7 years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience as a technical lead preferred.
- Experience with Agile Development.
- Advanced knowledge of .Net Core.
- Advanced knowledge of Angular.
- ETL experience preferred.
- Technical Knowledge - Able to expertly assess, design, develop, configurate and support applications, systems solutions, and interfaces for multiple systems to achieve business and/ or technical requirements.
- Demonstrates technical mastery for technologies, applications, systems, frameworks, and/or languages and has the ability to influence and/or set technical direction or defect resolution.
- Fully understands business applications and/or technical system environments in which the system operates.
- Demonstrates proficiency in business concepts. Demonstrates expert knowledge of applications/systems and concepts.
- Able to evaluate and leverage pre-existing services and frameworks.
- Leverages enterprise and industry best practices and standards. Works to ensure component interactions follow and promote design best practices.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who ensures solutions are built for the long term, is able to resolve new issues, recognizes mistakes using them as learning and teaching opportunities and consistently breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to articulate information clearly and concisely with the business, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members as both a mentor and mentee, take in vague requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, offer feedback appropriately and effectively, seek out and receives constructive criticism well, listen when others are speaking and make space for colleagues to share their thoughts.
- Leadership - Exhibits team leadership with the ability to help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.