Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
The Travelers Enterprise Artificial Intelligence team is looking for a Software Engineer II to assist in bringing AI to the broader organization.
AI is changing how we look at the world and building extensible, reliable, and ethical technology solutions surrounding AI is of critical importance. This is why we in search of a Software Engineer to help lead our team. Not only will this individual be exposed to cutting edge AI, they will have a voice in how it is done.
Software engineering comes with many expectations when building end to end applications, and this individual will participate in all of them: designing, developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system specifications (to name a few things).
In addition, this individual demonstrates leadership both within technology (current with technology trends) and among peers (mentorship and assistance to others). Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Think strategically about solutions, and work to accomplish them. Help define roadmaps, assist in measuring the IT/business benefit to a solution, and possess a willingness to change course in the face of new information
- Learn the insurance business to better develop solutions that fit our needs
- Perform analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of advanced complexity and escalate appropriately
- Work independently to identify, design, and deliver technology solutions
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to less experienced employees
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Two years of programming/development experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Four years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience with Artificial Intelligence
- Experience with Python
- Experience Cloud
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to estimate accurate timelines for tasks and deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, contribute to the software design strategy and methodologies used to best meet the system requirements, consider and build for many different use cases, avoid over engineering, and ensure automation, deliver complete solutions but release them in small batches, and identify important trade-offs and negotiate them.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including understanding technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively and aware of industry trends, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and priorities, and possess in depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on and some knowledge of adjacent systems.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who ensures solutions are built for the long term, is able to resolve new issues, recognizes mistakes using them as learning and teaching opportunities and consistently breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to articulate information clearly and concisely with the business, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members as both a mentor and mentee, take in vague requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, offer feedback appropriately and effectively, seek out and receives constructive criticism well, listen when others are speaking and make space for colleagues to share their thoughts.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with the ability to help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.