General Position Summary: The Software Engineer will work closely with functional leaders, organizational business units, and subject matter experts in developing solutions based on the Salesforce platform. This position will be responsible for all technical aspects of Salesforce.com, including data migrations, data quality, systems integrations, DevOps processes, 3rd party applications, AppExchange products, and custom code. Responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various departmental and enterprise-wide application systems. This includes but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. Applies analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produces all or part of the deliverables. Maintains databases and application system code.
Responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ablilty to understand complex business processes. Develops solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influences client towards innovative/integrated solutions.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Ownership of all technical aspects of Salesforce.com, including data migrations, data quality, systems integrations, 3rd party applications, AppExchange products, and custom code
- Technical leadership, setting best practices including integration and application development, deployment, testing (unit and systems), and iterative refinement
- Seek out ways to utilize SFDC to improve processes and productivity, and make recommendations to support an organization scaling at a rapid pace
- Define, communicate, and manage a change management (DevOps) process to develop and implement new applications/code and updates to existing applications/code
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to more junior staff.
- Provide thought leadership in designing and developing innovative integrated solutions.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
- Mentor junior staff in testing tools and technologies by reviewing their work.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by investigating and resolving issues, including complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, Electronic Engineering, or a related field. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
Required Experience: Five years of related work experience with computer systems and applications. Additional education may substitute for experience.
Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Preferred Job Qualifications: Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3+ years previous development experience with Salesforce.com
- Solid understanding of and detailed experience with Salesforce.com architecture and APIs
- Detailed experience writing Visualforce, Lightning and Apex classes and triggers
- Experience using Salesforce tooling including SDFX
- Experience using SFDC in a version-controlled environment and CI/CD practices
- Experience integrating Salesforce.com with other applications
- Strong business analysis and functional experience, including requirements gathering, creating/deploying solutions to end users
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in complex and large-scale implementation and troubleshoot and resolve customer issues
- Strong verbal/written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Salesforce.com Certified Force.com Developer or Advanced Developer certification
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications: Salesforce.com Certified Force.com Developer or Advanced Developer certification